NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys me and the family are thinking about up rooting and heading to the sunshine state but we don't wanna live in a huge city we like our small town life but I need readily access to water lol and I don't know any thing about the job force down there any help would be greatly apprecicated

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Jobs are hard to come by unless you are happy working in the service industry, restaurants etc. Manual labor on the farms is generally covered by the immigrants. Some manufacturing but not tons. Trucking stays busy year round but slows some in winter. The farther south you go the more expensive it gets and near water is HIGH $$. I wouldn't do it without a solid plan and job lined up. In fact with a family I wouldn't do it until I had been on that job for a bit to make sure it was working out. Jobs will depend on your skillset. Taxes are high on many things too.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
definitely hard to find decent work down there and pay is very minimal unless you get on with a large business which would mean larger more populated areas. I grew up and lived down there for many years.

I lived on the gulf coast about an hour north of tampa. Great fresh and saltwater fishing but hot as ****. Most people aren't friendly like they are in NC. Tax's seem more expensive here as well as cost of living.

·
Registered
300 Posts
"Jobs are hard to come by unless you are happy working in the service industry, restaurants etc."

This is spot on from Sundrop. I lived in Florida and generally you had money before you got there, or you serve food/drinks to those that do. There just isn't a lot of corporate presence there except the ones that have to be there like utility companies.

Also, I am going to try and say this in a way that doesn't offend people, but there are a lot of crazy people in Florida, and I admit I was one of those people in my 20s. There is nothing like good weather every single day of the year and I think that makes some people relax a little too much lol

Of course I am speaking generally and I am sure there are some pockets where that isn't the case.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I like the Washington/New Bern NC area. Close to water, both fresh and salt, and there are jobs to be found.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Florida is one of those things that looks good on paper.
Always said that if I ever won the lottery I would buy me a 1.5 million dollar cinder block conch house in Key Weird, just because I could.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Depends on your line of work, but not wanting to be near a city will make it tough. JAX, Orlando and Tampa are big enough to have jobs in various industries. I know JAX in particular is actually kinda hot for high tech right now. But it is a really big city. Some of the jobs are in the burbs and you can live a little further out, but if that doesn't float your boat it is tough. I have family down there. Most are retired or work in construction or touristry/service. My brother has a dream job as a yacht delivery skipper and one of his sons is following in his foot steps but it would be near impossible to break into that without his dad's help.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Depends on your line of work, but not wanting to be near a city will make it tough. JAX, Orlando and Tampa are big enough to have jobs in various industries. I know JAX in particular is actually kinda hot for high tech right now. But it is a really big city. Some of the jobs are in the burbs and you can live a little further out, but if that doesn't float your boat it is tough. I have family down there. Most are retired or work in construction or touristry/service. My brother has a dream job as a yacht delivery skipper and one of his sons is following in his foot steps but it would be near impossible to break into that without his dad's help.
Heck, folks commute here. 70 miles one way for me to get to work.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Yeah, my sister and her husband are living in Julee and working in JAX right now. My brother is in Destin and my nephews and some cousins are in PCB. Those are both touristy seasonal towns from the outside, but to the locals there is a small town feel because there really aren't that many long term full time residents and the pan handle may not be South Florida, but it is definitely Southern (known as the ******* Riviera).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts