NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with the warming weather and my baby son starting to settle in to a routine I've found time to fish more lately. Also I'm a teacher so I'm about to have 2 months with nothing to do! Therefore I've decided to look into getting my first kayak.

I have kayaked in the past and am comfortable on the water, the caveat is that I am large (6'6" and about 230) and don't want to spend a lot of money.

I would love to try out a yak to see if I like fishing from one and/or to see which type I would prefer. One I've found online and heard nothing but good things about (especially for larger guys) is the Old Town Vapor 10. Its cheap (usually about $500) and everyone seems to rave about them.

I will use the yak for mostly freshwater, small ponds and lakes mostly. Perhaps the occasional river but likely never the ocean.

Lastly, is there anyone in Charlotte or nearby that wouldn't mind me trying out their boat or know of any outfitters that rent angling kayaks?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Let these guys know what your budget is for a yak. You may get more input.

On the weight side of things. Often times a heavier person will stabilize a yak that is uncomfortable to a lighter person.
I build a hybrid canoe/ yak that is that way. It needs atleast 150 pounds in it to even begin to feel comfortable.
It's not a tippy boat but feels that way. The slanted chines will go along way in keeping it upright.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Go talk to Adam at Hunt, Fish, Paddle. His shop is on Lake Wylie and he has some good boats in stock. He might even let you try one out. I think Get Outdoors is also having their demo day either this weekend or coming up very soon.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
If it is primarily for fishing, you probably want to look at SOT (sit on top) first. Easier to fish from. I have a 10' SIK which is similar to the Vapor and I fish from it but there were other motivations besides fishing.

·
Red X Angler
11,228 Posts
Most of the outfitters will let you demo a boat, they also have water days when they are out with several boats. Charlie, at Outdoor Supply Company in Hickory is incessant that people try before they buy.

I have a Slayer and NuCanoe that you can try if you want to drive out to one of the landings on Hickory one day. Come early and we will do some fishing while we're out.

Darrell

·
Registered
593 Posts
Deff go See Adam at Hunt Fish Paddle. If you give me a budget I may be able to help you. Stability wise, you may want to look at the Ride 115 and 135. I just got a new yak, Feel Free Moken 12.5 LOVE IT! Im in charlotte, wouldnt mind helping you out if we can get together. Im also a Teacher. PM me,

Vinny.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. I'm definitely serious about getting one but I'm closing on a house in a few weeks so I likely won't be able to actually buy a boat until later this summer, gotta buy appliances and flooring first (silly necessities).

Budget wise I would like to stay under $500 for boat, paddle and pfd initially. I can always rig it out slowly. The other stipulation is that this boat will probably eventually be used by my wife. I plan to start out on this one and eventually upgrade to something a bit more serious and hand my starter down to the lady so we can go paddling together (and maybe even fish a little!)

I'll look into this Adam fella for sure.

Also Phantom I think I can just come down the hall to talk to you. Check my name.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Like with anything else, you can spend as much as you want on one. I've got Perception Pescador 12 and it's been through it all in the last year and a half and I couldn't ask for anything better. It's been great in the rivers/lakes/ponds and I haven't had a single issue with it yet. Call or stop by Carolina Mtn. Sports in Statesville and talk to Richard (chiefly fly'n). The yak I mentioned also comes in an angler version with more rod holders than mine. One thing i'll tell you for sure is that you won't regret it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also have the preception pescador 12. It's been very reliable. I'm 6'3 290 so I know what ur talkin about on size lol. It's about 500 to 550 for the yak and paddle most of the time. Definitely worth the money Comfort is the key. Try several out if u can and u won't regret ur decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
593 Posts
What are the chances! Same school................

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Don't overlook the Ascend Fs10t I think it is at Bass Pro. Boat caught my attention seriously. Now if I can get life to quit winning this game of ro sham bo with me I'll get one!

Tapatalk - Galaxy S4

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
That's a VERY nice kayak... I like the looks.

I wish bass pro would do demos.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Kelli and I just bought a couple Ascend FS10s...they are awesome! It's a great ride for the price...of course I get an employee discount which made it better for me, but even without it, they are great rides. Wide and stable.

To fish is human!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I recently purchased my first sot fishing kayak and I have to admit I fell in love!
Theres something about the adventure that comes with it that turns me on!
All I can say is follow your heart.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So after discovering Phantom and I actually work together, he has talked me into fishing in an upcoming tournament on MIL this saturday, and even found me a boat to borrow! I'm super excited. Now I just have to figure out what to bring!

Reactions: dbeam and Big Dawg

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
You're paddling Saturday? Good man! You're doomed, BTW - by Monday you will be looking at the figures again to decide how you can make the purchase happen sooner...

·
Registered
940 Posts
and then the real fun starts.. OUTFITTING! lol and then you will be like Opti and I looking for others crazy enough to go after the fish Beyond the Breakers.. and when you catch your 1st shark you will want a bigger boat.. so you can do it again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts