NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one morning my best friend and i went down to the lake to do a little striper fishing. when we got to the lake nothing was out of the ordinary just getting the boat ready to launch. so we backed the boat down the ramp and unloaded the boat and had it tied off to the boat dock. then this guy who had this really big nice bass boat pulled up and started to back down the ramp. he got it about half way down and got out of his truck in sort of a hurry got all his fishing stuff in the boat and then backed the boat down into the water.(all the while we are still tied up to the dock) this guy got out of his truck and hopped into his boat fired up the big 225 motor and then tried to back the boat off the trailer. but for some odd reason the boat didn't move so he once again put the boat back into reverse and the gave it even more gas and still the boat didn't move. then the guy shut his boat off got out and back into his truck and pulled it up out of the water. he then got out of his truck and walked all the way around his boat looking and didn't see anything that would hinder it from comming off the trailer.(note by now me and my buddy are starting to giggle hoping the guy didn't see us)now this guy backed this boat back down into the water again and started up that big ol' motor and then he floored it. water went everywhere.(now we couldn't hold it no more and started to laugh)this guy by now has seen us laughing and got sore of ticked off at us and looked over at us and asked what the ####is so funny.
we then told him that if he would unhook the strap's off the back of the boat the dang thing would probably come off the trailer. the guy just sat there with sort of a dumb look on his face from the humilation. and then just started to laugh along with us. that is why i always like to go to jordan lake sometimes and just set on the dock and see how many good laughs i can get.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
No doubt!

I think it's a spectator sport in a lot of locales... I know there's a regular crowd that brings lawn chairs to watch the "ramp follies" at the Wrightsville WLR.

I've witnessed a couple fights at the Shearon Harris ramp off Christian Chapel rd... one got pretty ugly when the rocks started to fly....

That's a good one Junkie! Thanx for the post... at least the guy could see the humor in it!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey i got another one too this happen to my dad. the other year my dad(marion),my uncle(robert) and my best friend(steven) went to the beach for the weekend well everybody met up at my dad's house and had all there stuff ready to go and so they loaded up the truck and off they go. now before they left my dad is always the ne person who reminds everyone about what to bring and to make sure that they dont forget anything. so they got all the way to the beach and unloaded the truck and then all of a sudden my dad asked steven if the truck was empty. steven replied yea why something missing? that is when my dad figured out that he had left all his clothes sitting on the front step's and now he is 4 hours from home and no clothes to wear. so my uncle loaned him some of his clothes which dont sound bad at all until you find out that my dad wears a size 36 to 38 waist and my uncle wears a size 42 in the waist. so all weekend my dad looked like hobo the clown walking around down at the beach.i would post some pics but it would probably come back to bite me in the end.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Last year, two women were launching a nice old little runabout here in town. . They dropped the boat in and one drove up to park while the other tied off then walked up to help her carry things to the boat (always load stuff before launch..LOL). I heard one scream OH MU GAWD!! as she approached the boat quickly filling with water.. They panicked needless to say!! I ran over asking "Where is the plug!! One lady said oh *%^& it is laying on the back!! I jumped in the boat and found the plug and yelled "one of you get in NOW!! GET IN!!" I knew it had taken on too much water to try to back the trailer back from the parking lot and get it on it.
I fired up the boat with one of the ladies looking at me dumbfounded and took off thru the no wake at full throttle...LOL!! Boat was plowing bad!!! She asked me what the H&% are we doing?? And I told her if we can get moving, the speed will suck the water back out and she can put in the plug from inside. there was enough water in the boat that I sat in sloshing water when I sat in the seat.. Luckily it had a fuel tank rather than a cell so no vent below water and by grace the battery worked.. We got the water to start drawing out, and when it got where she could she kinda dove in and plugged it. She said her husband was gonna kill her if he ever found out since he was out of town and she had never taken the boat out without him but she wanted to take her sister out on the water...
I told her she wasn't the first and wouldn't be the last to almost sink one at the ramp. I also reminded her to always look at the boat and think PLUG! I have trained myself whenever I even see it parked in the yard the thought PLUG goes through my head. It is the one thing you must not forget..anything else can be dealt with easily.
We got it loaded up and let it drain out. Her sister said she wouldnt tell if the other didn't and we all chuckled....

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Sundrop now that was quick thinking and you'd be a hero in my book. I would have probably tried to plug it at the dock and start bailing. I would never have thought to take off with it. ;)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sundrop now that was quick thinking and you'd be a hero in my book. I would have probably tried to plug it at the dock and start bailing. I would never have thought to take off with it. ;)
My Dad taught me that many years ago. He learned it in a similar situation from someone who saved him...LOL!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another day me and my dad was crappie fishing down at jordan. well if you have been on jordan lake fishing around farrington point then you will know what im talking about. we had went under the bridge there at farrington and headed on to our little secret hole. we fished just about all day and finally got ready to get the boat out when we got back to the bridge well you could say that the wind had picked up and was blowing straight down the lake straight into the boat ramp at about 20mph and we were looking at good 3 to 4 ft swells and im in a 17ft bass boat. so i already know what i have to do and for anybody who gets stuck like this listen up. i went by the ramp and on back into the cove which is on the left hand side of the ramp. i went up in the cove about 50yards and then there is a little small cove the cuts up in on the right hand side that you can pull your boat up into and get out of the wind and not sink it.so i pulled up into the cove and let my dad off and he went and got the trailer to back it down. i pulled out into the lake and was waiting for him to get backed down and then i finally whipped the boat around and rode one wave all the way to the trailer and loaded up the boat. as soon as i got the boat onto the trailer a wave came over the back and put about 6 inches of water in my boat and drowned the motor out. so i told my dad to pull up slowly and i would pull the plug and let the water run out. when i turned around here came a guy with what looked like a brand new bass boat and about 3 or 4 guys on the boat with him. i told him not to come straight in to the ramp but to go over like i did or he was gonna sink his boat. the guy just mumbled and said his boat wouldn't sink. then it happened. one of the guys jumped off the front of the boat and when he did the motor hit on the bottom and spun his boat around sideways and then the next wave hit him and down he went. me and my dad along with about 6 other guys had to help him fight the waves and get the boat onto the trailer so he could pull it out far enough to start bailing water out of the boat. that is one time that i can honestly say that the guy who owned the boat was crying. when i finally showed him what i was talking about doing he told me that he had never been more upset than that day. i really felt bad for the guy when all this happened but i will tell you this i dont think he will ever do what he did that day again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.