NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
yep and if we had their commercial fishing laws we could catch them here too.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Seems to me if we are having cold weather trout kills most years then that is more reason to change our commercial fishing regulations.
The recreational take of speckled trout is far greater than the commercial take. Do commercial fisherman get some fish? Absolutely... Recs take FAR more. We'd be better off enforcing the regulations we currently have in place. A closure after an event such as the one we had this year would be a great place to start.

·
Registered
183 Posts
One thing you may not understand about the commercial trout take...the books show that recs take far more trout. Waht you don't see is the vast amount of fish taken off the books in nets. So many people around here have gill nets, far more than the number of licenses. And teh commercials don't even have to report all the fish they catch. Only the ones they sell ON THE BOOKS. If they clean out a creek and simply pass those fish around the neighborhood, those fish don't get counted. If they sell them under the table because they don't have a license, those fish don't get counted. The cold stuns don't do as much damage as they would like you to believe. Trout spawn multiple times and early. They grow pretty fast. Why do you suppose, that even in years when there is really good trout fishing, that you see so many fish that top out around 2-3 lbs and a few around 5 lbs and hardly any over that? A 4 lb trout is the perfect size for getting hung in large mesh nets. How about that for a coincidence? Trigger I know you are out there a lot but just think about the things I've listed here.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
when it comes to comms I am more concerned with their by catch and unreported catch than the fact they are out there fishing. Nets are like hand grenades they spread their damage to things other than your target. Hooks are rifles. Granted those rifles aren't in the hands of Snipers but they still can be better controlled.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Who needs to close down the rec fishing for spec this year? ****, I have not seen one to catch since January and I live on Pungo Creek....THERE ARE NONE.....LOL

The recreational take of speckled trout is far greater than the commercial take. Do commercial fisherman get some fish? Absolutely... Recs take FAR more. We'd be better off enforcing the regulations we currently have in place. A closure after an event such as the one we had this year would be a great place to start.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
A closure would have allowed these fish to spawn. Instead they found their way to a fish market. By the way, those smaller ones are 20-23 inches. Photo courtesy of ******.

I agree there are a lot of unreported fish taken, but on the same token there are likely more than that harvested by recs over the limit. I can count on 1 finger the amount of times I've been checked in the last 2 years. It makes no difference to me if they do away with commercial and make specks gamefish, I have zero stake in the claim. I just feel that weather and recreational take have a higher impact on the fishery than commercial interaction does.

·
Registered
662 Posts
In the Article the guide says that the freeze of 2010 really hurt the trout fishing in his area and there was no big fish around for a couple years after. That was one freeze 5 years ago. Here in NC it seems we have a freeze that kills trout at least bi yearly. I dont think our trout fishery will ever be on par with Florida's no matter what we do. We cant change the weather. But it is also ignorant to think that coms and recs dont have an impact on the fish. I have been checked 1 time in the past 5-6 years on the pungo, it might be even longer than that. Enforcement is lacking on both recs and coms. I also think gill nets need to be done away with, along with inshore trawling. Either way our fisheries could be improved a lot whether they do as I think they should or not. Our trout fishing will never be Florida but it doesnt have to be NC as it is now either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.