NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read about a sailfish that was caught on the 25th out of a jon boat 4 miles out from Wrightsville. The guy said it was in the vicinity of the liberty ship. That there is within kayak range. Pretty fish (about 5') from an 18' jon w/ a 90 on the back. I'm surprised that Nobody here reported it. That's news!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hmmm.... sounds like a tall tail.... feasible...mabye..
But if it's the yahoo's I've encountered out at the Liberty before, I'm suprised they could pick up a fishin pole with all the drinkin they do much less land and release a sail.

Pretty funny when them guys (dont know if these are the same people or not) (3 guys in a 16 or 18 ft green flat bottom john) yell'd holler'd and screamed at me to move and to pay attention to the navigation rules AND wanting to fight.... So I grab'd the gaff and a fillet knife and told them to beat it! Still dont know if they saw my anchor line out or not... (ahem...) Not that I'd been on the hook for at least two hours or anythin... ha ha hah a.... ;)

I'm sure someone would've seen it if it's true... I wont believe it unless I see a pic of them near the bouy or WB in the background...

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Sure have Al, picked up alot of Tormenter stuff when down at Orange Beach AL.
Picked up enough to fill two 3700 boxes (yup, monkey got me..)

They've got great skirted lures, and them tuna plugs sure are nice...

Their mahi teaser definately seems to work and I've ordered the bonita teaser as well to add to the collection.. There's a sale on Tormenter stuff at Charkbait.com online.. alot better prices than what I paid down in 'Bama

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
:) Al, here's some of what I picked up when down there.... nothin like souvenier shoppin! ;)
Charkbait has very good prices right now on the Tormenter stuff, teasers are priced right (less expensive than the Playaction's) ;)

the 4 on the left are Tormenter's and the green dart next to the Aliens is a Tormenter

here's a pic of the Tormenter Mahi color'd teaser... I really like it, looks great and has typical bowling pin action, just have to be carefull slingin it back in to the boat as that fancy paint does chip a little

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah Dave I've already seen them pictures ....I was trying to get you some more material to shoot with that new camera....:D You know...while its cheap...I like them folks...but with patience I can do a lot better on the prices. Pro packs of Owner and Hayabusa hooks for $5... Flourocarbon (Seguar, P-line etc)even less That Bonita was a whopping $5.00 but sometimes I have done much better. The problem is finding the stuff. It comes in mixed in with a whole tractor trailer load of stuff and that kinda of thing may make up <1% of a load. I rarely get 1st pick at it and it is always already unloaded and crammed into boxes and stuck in a warehouse til sale time. It's not like you can just pick up the phone and order it. You have to be at the right place at the right time so to speak. Its amazing how much of that stuff gets returned to the distributors in perfectly good shape. It is even more amazing how cheap they will sell a load. Reality sets in though after you start trying to sell it. You get all kinds of stuff that just don't belong in your area and is a pain to ship or just won't do well on E-Bay. You also get stuff that is broken, some of which is not repairable. It is not so easy when you consider how much work and money it cost just to put it back on the market and keep it there til it sells. For instance I have a friend that has a nice used Shimano 2000 levelwind reel (which in my opinon is as good of a striper/catfish reel as a charter captain could find ). He has been trying to sell it for $30 for over a year. well gotta get busy again.... See ya at the tackle monkey tree.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I hear ya Al,

Well, you got my contact #, you know pretty much what I use on my end ;)

Something I've been looking for and haven't found here are 24 oz trolling weights, any idea'rs on them? I'm always happy to collect a few more bonita's! :)

I've been looking at stiff rigs (tandem hook) in the 10/0, 11/0 and 12/0's.. any of them layin around I'd be happy to relieve ya of...

I hear ya.. you have to set up accounts, pay for this that and some shipping... probably more trouble than it's worth for piddly stuff I'm sure.

Hey, I'll tell ya Al, thanx for that bonita deal man... as you've probably already witness'd, it's done a heck of a job within the last year! ;)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll keep looking. Like I say It Is slow and unsure but I keep on plugging . I have some stainless cable and crimps so we got a start on them stiffies I'll have to look to see on the hooks. I can probably dig a few out of the offshore stuff I've already got. As far as finding them already made up....pretty slim chance. We have the tools and technology though. LOL

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To tell you how outdated my stuff is, 90% of my big game hooks were needle eyes. Mann's jelly hoos, Not Islanders but Hawiian Eyes, a Sevenstrand Knucklehead, a Konahead, Green Machines (The Originals) An original Moldcraft Hi-speed model . Most of the old feathers and seawitches are long gone. A noticeable lack of pink and purple. A fair selection of newer but still dated small pusher types and and deeper running hexhead types. Big Pet Spoons, Drone spoons, Atom plugs, Big Cisco Kids .... I think I need to open a museum!!!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
That vintage stuff sells on Ebay....

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Old feathers,,, those are hard to come by... too many "feather type" lures now with rubber skirts and mylar... just isnt the same... probably why I like the Zukers feathers the best..

Dont see alot of drone spoons anymore.. and them green machines.. single skirts?

Love the knuckle head!!! got one in my box.. ha ha ha ha....
Needle eyes good for cedar replacements...

Ya know Al... might be time to pass those down and re-load on some new stuff :eek::p ha ha ha ha....

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I get rich I'm going to open a coffee shop/cafe on the intercoastal and decorate it with that kinda stuff along with pics from the early days. Next door will be the zoo. The focus of the zoo will be monkeys and birds..... Tackle monkeys and the birds that are working them schools of fish .....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.