NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well fellas, came back to Charlotte to see mom for mothers day. Great day, got her a new tv and scallops for dinner. Decided I would run down to the pond in the adjacent neighborhood that I've been fishing since I was 8 years old and have never had a single person tell me to leave or that there was an issue. In fact everybody has always been happy, asked how the fishing was, and I've even let several of the neighborhood kids reel in my catches before. There's always been less trash there than when I arrived and the people that live there litter it horribly.

There was a cop car on the side of the road when I got there but I didn't think anything of it. Missed a good swipe on the pop-R first cast and caught a handful of small crappie on the ultra light. Noticed the cop started to move but didn't think anything of it. Worked down the bank and spooked a monster bass. Just a nice 20-30 minutes on the water to end a great day. I see the cop pull back to where he was and motion for me to come over. He was polite and first thing he says is "Are you XXXX and do you still live at XXXX?" Ah crap. Guess he went and ran my plates while I was fishing - NOTE - there are no "no trespassing", "no fishing", or "residents only" signs anywhere at this place. The only signs say "catch and release only".

I guess my question becomes when did we get to the point where somebody fishing in a neighborhood became such an issue. The speed with which people will call to get you sent on your way rivals or betters that as if you were dealing drugs!! I have a lot of great memories from this place that nobody can ever take away from me, I just hate that this is the way that things have turned.

Thanks for listening to me whine!! Back to SC tomorrow might go smack a few more spotted bass on hartwell...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Shore areas to fish have become so rare that people are wandering in anywhere they can get a line in the water. Unfortunately a lot of those people have zero respect for the privilege, create problems, litter, steal , make noise and take anything that bites home to eat or worse, leaves it to rot and stink on the shoreline. As they say "It only takes one bad apple."

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Maybe the HOA should spend some of those dues to post new signs if they do not want non residents to fish there versus spending tax payer money to call cops to chase someone off. I can see calling police if signs say no fishing, residents only or private pond.

I am starting to notice more people fishing my favorite lake and more fisherman trash. People are leaving behind empty bags from plastics, boxes from crank baits and fishing line that they have cut off. I am finding lots of other trash but since it's booze bottle, soda bottles and other stuff it is likely from partyers versus folks fishing. I am glad that one of the first times we fished together you brought along a bag to collect trash so now I try to do as much trash pickup as possible when I am at the lake however I am mostly focused on fisherman trash so someone doesn't blame me for the trash.

Too bad ya missed a big one and had to leave sounds like a nice pond.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I'm glad every place isn't public where just anyone can walk in like they own the place and fish......every place on earth would look like a landfill.

People have to remember that if it's owned by others then you don't have the natural right to just walk there and fish just because you think you should be able to. This is why people buy their own things, to use when you want to.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree to an extent wade but if that's the case as spidey said at that point itd be in their best interest to post a residents only sign. I don't tresspass when it's marked.

just needed to vent for a minute since when I was a kid I used to walk through the woods to get there before the houses existed. Glad to be in sc now where things are much less hoity toity. Charlotte has just gone to crap for the outdoorsman

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I'd say there are probably other people that leave messes there other than the residents. But residents do too I'm sure.

I guess they're under the impression that they shouldn't have to post everything under the sun just to keep people off of what isn't theirs.

Doesn't matter much to me either way but if I had a pond or lake in my front yard/back yard that I wanted private I would wonder what made somebody think they could just pull over and run into my yard and make themselves at home. Trespassing signs would help but why would I need them? I thought that's why people worked for things and attained them.

Other areas seem to be more easily confused.....right of ways or wooded tracts. Now there would be a good place for signage......for obvious reasons. So people may have an idea of where the property lines go and what have you.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I understand the frustration with access, when I was younger visited many ponds that were on private property. That said, times have changed.

Rather than expect every property owner to post their land, stopping and asking permission can go a long way in both obtaining access and showing respect to others property. The lack of respect is what has resulted in not allowing access.

Cases in point, my lot is mostly wooded and 3/4 of an acre. A few summers ago I kept hearing voices in the woods, finally went back to investigate and come to find out someone had posted a geocaching location that was literally in my back yard. With the snow this past winter, looked outside and had a bunch of older kids in my side lawn sledding down into the woods, starting just a few feet from the house. i am not against these activities, but the lack of respect to my property was rude. Especially since it was very wet and they were tearing up my grass.

Long story, but it should not be the land owner's responsibility to inform you that you should not be there. You already know it is private property, if you want to access it, show respect and ask.

Reactions: Brenardo and satguy

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Well James its probably because you look so much like a hardened criminal

Maybe theres a veteran in the neighborhood that you could let know how much youve volunteered in MAD activities and they might just give you a free pass

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
It's hard to find a balance between property rights and public access. Anyone from Johnston County can probably relate to a lack of public access. You basically have to learn to fish places other people don't want to. Luckily, we as fisherman have at least some access, and people in other counties have great access. Now as a hunter, if you don't have money, land, or know people, you are pretty much not allowed to participate in the sport at all. Unfortunately, as rural land begins to become suburbs with HOA's and such the situation will likely only get worse.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I agree. Times are different now and will continue to change....always will. Growing up I did lots of things I shouldn't have.....but no longer do for the most part. Lakes and rivers and state parks and national parks and recreation areas etc.......go to these places and you can tell anyone who has a problem with it to mind their own business (to put it nicely). Permission for other areas is tough to come by.....I always just kept asking until, bingo, permission granted.

I personally think nobody actually "owns" land realistically. Maybe on paper and in the courts but that's it. It has been here far longer and will be here far longer than whatever person who shelled out the cash for it. So many ways to look at this....aggravating.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I just recently sold my place which had a five to six acre pond in the backyard. Some people do not have any respect. I have looked out the window and seen people I don't know parked in my backyard, and on my deck fishing. I have been sitting under my shelter and watched 4 to 5 people walk right past my no trespassing sign, look at me and say nothing, and start fishing. The first 8-10 years I was there, if someone asked me to fish I never told them no. The last couple of years I was there, it was only for family and close friends. I even told a preacher no after he left trash on two previous occasions. Guess I know where I'm going for that. Got really tired of picking up trash and my lawn mower blades staying wrapped with fishing line. It's a real shame it had to come to that.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
On my route in King, there is a community that has two large ponds of about five acres each. I drive across the road that separates them every day. As I cross (scanning the water) I see huge bass cruising everywhere! So, I asked a couple of the guys that live there if anyone ever fishes them. Both told me hardly ever, because only residents are allowed to, because of the idiots that used to leave trash all over the place. One of the guys did tell me I could bank fish there from his yard. Might take him up on it some day..lol

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
On my route in King, there is a community that has two large ponds of about five acres each. I drive across the road that separates them every day. As I cross (scanning the water) I see huge bass cruising everywhere! So, I asked a couple of the guys that live there if anyone ever fishes them. Both told me hardly ever, because only residents are allowed to, because of the idiots that used to leave trash all over the place. One of the guys did tell me I could bank fish there from his yard. Might take him up on it some day..lol
I have a similar agreement with a guy on a private lake near me. Only problem is they are draining the lake down for some reason and now his dock is sitting above mud not water.

Maybe be all of us bank fisherman can start carrying garbage bags with us to haul out trash every time we fish. Might get the message out that the fisherman aren't trashing the places and people might let us fish.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.