NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to Thom-A Lex for the first time this weekend. Been wanting to bass fish it for a long time.
Researching it on the net I see that the lake gets very little love from fishermen. Is it just a bad bass lake or is it full of tough to catch bass?

I see that there is some kind of grass in the lake. Wondering what kind it is.

Anything I should know before I go?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
It can be tough often. There are bass there, but few people catch good numbers, just like at Joke Hollow (Oak Hollow). It'd be among the last ones I'd fish, but I haven't fished there in years, so don't take my word for it, ask others.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I went last year. I can't say the fishing was hot but my buddy caught a nice bass in the cove next to the launch. Another guy caught one under the bridge. The bait was busting pretty good under there. They say it might be good over there next to the water plant but it wasn't happening for me that day.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
The grass is like canary grass, a lot like the shoreline grass at HPCL. Working the grass is the only "pattern" I"ve ever seen work out there, and sometimes it's reasonable, other times it's famine. When the fish are hitting I have found some on the few laydowns that stick out past the grass. I have had a few decent days out there but mostly poor days for numbers. "They say" it's got good bass in it, but I've had a hard time finding them consistently.

I did not have good electronics when I fished out there before, so there could be some open lake structure I missed out on, I will say that. I have done decently in the entrance to the cove by the ramp, the shoreline created by the road on the south side (getting in real close to the overhanging brush) and along the shoreline going south from the ramp, and a few other spots here and there but nothing real consistent.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Good luck, Mike! Let me / us know how you do. I'd be interested to see how a knowledgeable angler does out there

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fished Thom-A-Lex this morning. Not knowing the lake we took off what we thought was up the lake, and ended up at the dam.
Well, that's not where we wanted to go!!! We fished a little down there with no luck and head off to the upper end. The water color was much better up there. After a little while we catch a small bass on spinnerbait. We end up fishing the whole back ends of both creeks with only small, but fat bass to show for it. We fish a bunch of the grass on the way back to the bridge with jigs and buzzbaits and had no takers. Back under the bridge we go and fish some windy points and coves. More small fish. Get off windy banks and catch no fish, hit windy banks and get small fish. Now in the clear water they bite wacky worms.
We keep hoping the next bite is a super fat 18" keeper. Never happened..............

A day on the lake with no keepers. Thom-A-Lex is a good looking lake but I think the Wildlife dept. has screwed that lake up with the 18" size limit and turned the lake into a dink lake.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Least ways, you caught some fish. All lakes are cyclic, with several boom years followed by lean years with mainly smaller fish. I just have never heard of many big fish coming from there, as opposed to another poor lake (in my opinion, Oak hollow) which does give up seven + plus time to time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.