NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to purchase a 18' Carolina Skiff at what I consider to be a great price, however, I am a bit concerned about a Force outboard.

I have always been a Yammyha/Johnson owner so Force by Mercury throws the red flags. Owner has receipts for all work performed since he has owned the boat.

Can anyone offer their input on a Force outboard?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Search for thehulltruth force forum. There's a lot of info there and a lot of positive reviews. Which motor (age and HP) is significant. They're considered to be "simple" motors and relatively easy to work on...

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear ya John. I tried doing a bit of research on Force and it's a mixed bag of reviews. Suppose I'll continue my quest to find a little bit larger boat

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Force got a bad image more because they were sold on junk boats (Bayliners) at low prices which attracted more people who knew nothing about maintenance. Chrysler engines with Mercury electronics basically. Force engines are "no frills" motors which make them easy to work on but they have no resale value really because of their reputation. They are not bad engines with one exception. The 5 cyl 150hp JUNK!. I say take advantage of the bad image to nail a low price on the rig and run the snot out of it. Just know that you will need to buy your parts on the internet and do the work yourself because any shop you go to is going to try to sell you a motor and talk smack about your Force. I have been inside many of them and they are good older designs. The electronics are sensitive but that's the same for all older Mercurys anyway as well. I will guess you are looking at a 120hp?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.