NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everybody, I've seen a lot of info about the flounder around the state port wall. Wondering if a 14' jon with 20hp would be ok? Trying to get some info before I burn the gas there. Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've seen boats that small around there. It's a no wake zone, so you should be fine.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Take lots of anchor line it averages 45' plus in places, also at least 6 feet of chain for the line to the anchor, the tide rips in there even with a no wake zone.
Good luck

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read you couldn't tie up to the wall so I definitely will need more anchor line- only have 100'. I'm looking forward to going- heard about huge flounder in that area
Take lots of anchor line it averages 45' plus in places, also at least 6 feet of chain for the line to the anchor, the tide rips in there even with a no wake zone.
Good luck

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Pay attention .... it is no wake but not everyone observes it. A stiff wind and it gets rough in there no wake or not. The ramps @ RI can be a ZOO on weekends and you won't get a lot of respect from some of the animals.
Not trying to turn you off by any means, but with a small boat that area can get squirrely, be careful.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I read you couldn't tie up to the wall so I definitely will need more anchor line- only have 100'. I'm looking forward to going- heard about huge flounder in that area
Worse comes to worse set up and drift. Requires less weight to get your line down and you can cover more water. A lot of the time the current will keep you next to the wall, just have to push off occasionally.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
If you tie up to the wall you get 5 minutes max before the port police run you off. Anchoring is tough especially with a small boat and if there are a lot of other boats. The South side of the wall gets REALLY choppy I would stay off that. Good luck and for sure wear your life jacket.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Keep your jacket ON. Don't assume anyone is looking out for you, but you!. Stay on guard and don't get distracted. One big boat hard charging like a fool and you are done.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Don't anchor in the port! It's not safe at all, especially in a boat as small as yours. The barges may not see you and you may not see/hear them. I about got ran over 7-8 years ago. I was caught up catching fish while anchored up and next think I knew a giant freighter was blowing his horn at me. By the time I got the motor started and my friend got the anchor up we could have just about touched the freighter with a fishing rod. I was moments away from abandoning ship. Had I been alone I would've likely had to have done just that because there's no way I could have got the anchor up in time. Get you a drift sock and use it to control your speed or power drift. Also, just because it is a no wake zone does not mean it doesn't get rough. Let there be an incoming tide and a stiff NE wind or an outgoing and a stiff SW and it chops up pretty good.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the info. Anybody been behind the wall? Worst thing happens if it gets too rough, I can try other places in the area.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
That whole area holds fish, don't pass up the bridge either. The haystacks are right there and they too produce nice flounder. Taylors Creek is another place to try and of course Portside Marina. Since your boat is 14 foot you can launch at the Morehead City ramp that is for boats 16 foot and less. It will put you right by Sugar Loaf Island. That whole back side by Jacks/Ruddy Duck will hold flounder and is protected from the wind if it is ugly. You can launch on Taylors Creek and fish the docks or run around to Carrot Island.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It can get pretty rough by that port wall. I once knew a guy who used to get alongside the wall and bottom fish for sheepshead there, and he really paid for all those fish with a badly beat-up boat !

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Don't anchor in the port! It's not safe at all, especially in a boat as small as yours. The barges may not see you and you may not see/hear them. I about got ran over 7-8 years ago. I was caught up catching fish while anchored up and next think I knew a giant freighter was blowing his horn at me. By the time I got the motor started and my friend got the anchor up we could have just about touched the freighter with a fishing rod. I was moments away from abandoning ship. Had I been alone I would've likely had to have done just that because there's no way I could have got the anchor up in time. Get you a drift sock and use it to control your speed or power drift. Also, just because it is a no wake zone does not mean it doesn't get rough. Let there be an incoming tide and a stiff NE wind or an outgoing and a stiff SW and it chops up pretty good.
I always make sure to have a sharp knife handy whenever anchoring in areas of extreme currents or heavy boat traffic. Another option is to have your anchor rigged with buoy and quick release in the event you have to make a quick getaway. I've been anchored up when squalls come up and conditions were so rough it was difficult to untie the rope frome the cleat.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
I always make sure to have a sharp knife handy whenever anchoring in areas of extreme currents or heavy boat traffic. Another option is to have your anchor rigged with buoy and quick release in the event you have to make a quick getaway. I've been anchored up when squalls come up and conditions were so rough it was difficult to untie the rope frome the cleat.
Good points to make if you are going to anchor, but I would still avoid it altogether. I know for a fact unless an emergency situation I'll never deploy an anchor in there again. I've actually found the fishing to be better on a controlled drift anyways. With the anchor feature on my ipilot I can hold position on the wall and can maneuver easily.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I fish the port area regularly in my fourteen foot jon boat with a 15hp engine. Absolutely no problems whatever. I have 50 feet of anchor line with no chain and a 25 lb river anchor. I can usually get it set, but the tide really does rip. I don't fish weekends there though. Too much traffic.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. I'm getting a drift sock and making plans now- may put it off for a couple of weeks, though. My brother and I are heading down around the James River Bridge area next weekend.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts