NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If equal high tides occur at 9 am and 5 pm; and you intend on fishing the rising tide does it matter if you go fishing in the morning or the afternoon? The reason I asked is that I have a bias (as a result of freshwater fishing) that says one goes fishing in the early morning. Seems unwarranted if fishing on rising or falling tides.

From what I read a moving tide is the best situation. Comments?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand speckhunter but with all other factors being equal, theoretically, and a high tide in the afternoon late would you bow to tradition and fish early morning or ride the rising or falling tide in the pm. Which overrides your decision?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point! In times past if I couldn't go early(freshwater) I didn't go. I'm trying to overcome that bias and use both when I can go and the tides to make my decision to go.
Thanks,
S

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I have started to adhere to trigger's policy as well. If I have the time, I am going fishing. Every time I go I learn something.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Depending on where you are, boat traffic may dictate you to fish in the morning.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Just fish when you have the time, put what you know to work and may have success. I don't worry about it, I go when the fever hits me...:)

Even if the fish are not biting, I will look at new areas. Check out the fishability, access ability during high or low tide, baitfish presence, depths and such of an area. We check out at least one new place every trip. You never know when you will find that new honey hole.

·
Red X Angler
1,137 Posts
Hey Steve....Like Trigger and Scott and Speckhunter said..."fish when you can".....and over time, you will learn to fish all types of tides....AND....you will also go to places that are better fishing at certain times!!!

You said something above about "equal tides" and gave a timeframe of 8 hours, and I am NOT familiar with that terminology, but Highs and Lows happen four times per day...."Approx" every 6 hours.....but that is not exact and varies by about 20-30 minutes each day.....check out this info for NC from "saltwatertides.com" which I use to plan trips and vacations"

Tides for Cape Hatteras starting with April 22, 2014. Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
/Low Time Feet Sunset Visible

Tu 22 High 1:26 AM 3.5 6:21 AM Rise 1:53 AM 55
22 Low 7:59 AM 0.1 7:40 PM Set 12:54 PM
22 High 2:04 PM 2.8
22 Low 8:05 PM 0.2

Tide tables are based on solunar and historical info, and have NO IDEA what the local weather will be like on any given day....and in tidal areas, the wind direction and strength are very important!! Down here in JAX, FL, if the winds are out or the NE and strong, they pound the water into the St. Johns River and the high tides arrive earlier and higher than predicted, and then when the tides change, many of our small tidal creeks "flush" quickly, so you have to be aware of your area and not get stuck in the muck!! (wonder how I learned that?? LOL!!)

Anyway, my advice to new people down here is to NOT overthink it and just FISH WHEN YOU CAN!!!
Good Luck!!!
JohnYaksJax

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
The guys who have already responded have a lot more experience than me, but here's my
Your question was incoming tide. For inshore trout I have better luck on falling water. Also, if you have the freedom to pick & choose, IMO you should be at your warm weather trout spot(s) before the sun is, regardless of tides.

Then there's the 20hr per day Chris Lane approach - fish now sleep some other year ..........

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I am usually an early morning fisherman, unless I am camping and fishing. Most of the places I fish, the water level is mostly wind driven. Nowadays, at age 67, I am usually good for a little over 1/2 day. Lots of great info here.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Take into effect--some "saltwater" fishing areas are not lunar tide affected, but instead they depend on wind-driven tides--such as coastal river creeks. In this case, rising water is usually better in my opinion.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
940 Posts
If your awake, go fishing.. if not. get yer but outta bed, your late! ... but really..

I would prefer to fish the mornings as well but My next trip on my yak dictates that unless i want to paddle all day and get no where, I have to depart on the falling tide and return on the rising tide..

Optimum situation- 2 days before a new moon that rises 1/2 hr after sunrise with a high tide 4 hrs later...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts