NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
While I'm certainly no expert on Tilapia, the only place that I know to fish for them is in the canal system of southern Florida. The Tilapia is a non-native species and is considered invasive. Also, it is illegal to transport and release non-native species in Florida. It is legal to fish for Tilapia and to possess the fish for consumption. So, if you plan to keep a few for the skillet it's a good idea to ice them immediately.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Yes, Hyco is near Roxboro. I counldn't imagine why the Wildlife Commission would stock Tilipa. I have always heard that they couldn't survive any further north than the Miami area. However, it appears that they did just that and they have reproduced in some of the Power supply reservoirs that have warm water discharge. From what I can find out , The Red Bellied Tilapia along with Grass carp were stocked in some Wake County lakes in an effort to control Hydrilla. It was determined that the stocking of the Tilipia was a mistake because they tear the hydrilla loose from the lake beds. This actually cause the spread of the Hydrilla.

Though I haven't confirmed anything, There is mention of Tilapia in the following lakes:

Lake Norman
Hyco Lake
Lake Julian (Buncombe Co)
Lake Anne (Wake Co)

You learn something new everyday!! They're here , go get'em.:cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes Hyco has Tilapia. I caught several back in the summer under a bridge below the elementary school. I didn't know what it was so the next time the Game Warden checked my license I asked him what it was. They stocked them about two years ago and they had multiplied quickly.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Lake Julian in Buncombe County has blue tilapia in it.

They were stocked in 1965 for weed control and have thrived ever since.

I catch them there on bread, worms and corn. Especially yellow corn.

Most fish are small but 1-4 pounders are possible.

Fishing for them in the winter is good because the lake is a thermally heated by the power plant

Tilapia are considered non game fish and you can keep as many as you want.

And finally don't bother with trying for a state record tilapia. Been there, done that. NCWRC won't accept it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.