NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my outboard is leaking tilt/trim fluids... and it had leaked enough that the trim&tilt wont move the outboard up or down anymore. problem is that i always stored the outboard in the down position and now i can't get it to go up for transport... what can i do?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Isn't there some sort of release valve? Not knowing what brand you have, I can't gaurantee that. But it seems that there should be one of some sort. Do you have a manual, or access to one online? I know on my Yammy that there is a screw that can be turned to allow motor to tilt.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a 02 yamaha vmax 150hp 2stroke. but Yeah i am aware of that screw.. but loosen it only allows the motor to fall down.. i can't lift it up by hand(even after loosen the screw) because i'm going against the dead weight of the outboard and if i let go.. the outboard will come back crashing down.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Its a 02 yamaha vmax 150hp 2stroke. but Yeah i am aware of that screw.. but loosen it only allows the motor to fall down.. i can't lift it up by hand(even after loosen the screw) because i'm going against the dead weight of the outboard and if i let go.. the outboard will come back crashing down.
Every one I've owned had some sort of lock (dog) that could be hand operated to keep it from falling back down.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
If you can get to the fluid reservoir and fill it, you should be able to work it up once you get the air out of the system. If not get a few strong friends and lift it all the way up and use the support bracket on the motor or put it on a transom saver while you work on the seals.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not sure how many guys it will take to lift it up.. and if one person slips, it could get ugly. I'll have to find a way to get my hands on an engine hoist. thats the only option that i can think of that may work.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you can pick it up with hydroloc use the engine stops, or get you and a buddy unscrew the pressure relief valve then lift it up and lock down the engine stops. I have done every thing you could possible imagine with outboard engine tilt trim feel free to PM me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.