NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Generally, what time do you leave to go fishing, how long do you steam on average to get there, and how long on average do you fish. I like to fish close to home but the grass always seems greener, especially on this site. I will spend all day on the water. If things are slow I will nap, fool around looking for "stuff," take pictures, or cruise around trying to make sense of what shows on my fish finder (Lowrance elite 4X.) I leave around dawn because being new here am not yet comfortable steaming in the dark. Same going home at dusk.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I generally just bass fish. I usually shoot for being at the lake around sunrise, depending where I am going I plan accordingly to allow for drive time, gas and breakfast. 2 hours driving each way is about as far as I care to go for a one day trip. I typically start around daylight and fish until 4ish. I pretty much fish the entire day and usually run my boat 20-40 miles on the water running from spot to spot. Sometimes if nature calls and I hit the bank I may spend a few minutes exploring, relic hunting or on low water, enhancing habitat. On most days I run out of time before I get tired of fishing.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I don't have a set schedule that I like to fish other than I go when I can and fish as long as I can. Whether it be for an hour or 12 hours. Sometimes I launch at day break and others I may launch at 10 pm. I rarely ever travel more than an hour to fish, and most of the times I don't even drive half an hour.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
It's an 2-2.5 drive to just about any salt water spot for me. I like to be on the water at first light and stay as late as my energy holds out. The better the bite the less tired I am. A slow day gets the back to hurting and makes for a long afternoon. Sometimes that last 30 minutes saves the day, just like the first 30 minutes can get you off to a good start.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I live 45 minutes from my local waters. Start time depends on the time of year. In warm weather I try to be casting before first light. This time of year, I still try for that, but sometimes I'll sleep a bit later and just shoot for daybreak. I rarely fish more than 4 hours, target home by 1'ish most days.

I'm extremely lucky to have boat and brackish water access within 45 minutes of home. I'm even luckier that the boat is the best kind- my dad's! I'm only on the hook for gas.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
My time varies depending on time of year. In the warmer times I like to launch before first light and be ready in place fishing as it gets light. Morning bites seem best in warm weather for me. In colder times like now I don't worry about getting out early as for me the best bites are afternoon/evening/night when the water has warmed from the days sunshine. This also varies depending on what type of water and what species you are after.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, I should have said inshore. I was curious about winter fishing, whether early bird gets the worm or as someone noted - later when the sun warms up the water a bit.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Currently limited to nearby Creek fishing out of a kayak so I'm paddling in less than 10 minutes from my driveway and wet a line in less than 25.
Like trigger, I fish when I can and I may start at daybreak and go 10 hours or I may go out for only a couple of hours but that's rare. Generally I like to spend at least three hours when I go out.
It's a blessing to be so close to the creek but it's a limited fishery for sure. Maybe one day I'll be inclined to put a rack on the truck and try other areas.
I can't imagine 2-3 hours of travel just to get to, but and from, the boat. I admire those with such a passion but it isn't for me. For me fishing is so much fun just because it is so convenient. If I had to drive more than 1/2 hour each way I don't think it would hold much interest. I did this in the past when I trailer a boat but now I'm not motivated to deal with the traffic, boat ramps, people, fuel, trailers that break, engines that don't run every time etc.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I would err on the side of caution of fishing the same creek everyday and keeping fish each time. With the warranties manufacturers are offering with outboards these days, you shouldn't have much problem
with engines running. Nothing like going early/daybreak and beating the crowds. This time of year is especially nice. Can go whenever.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
No set time for leaving or returning. More important is where, tide & winds.
Certain places, like Bald Head where tide & wind direction is the key.
It's an hours drive from my house to the ramp & most times worth it.
If I want to fish New River, it's an easy 90 minute drive to the ramp & maybe an hour 30 minutes to where I want to fish.

Winter fishing sun warming helps our spirits, not sure who it effects cold blooded fish.
You may have to put up with running in freezing temps to get on the spot.
I do know that winter time makes them easier to spot in clean clear water.
Just the other day I spooked several schools of Reds & saw a few Trout while doing searching.

Sorry there is no easy answer. Got to go where I think the fish are & when they will bite.
Hope this helps. ..... ICM

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I am on the water as the sun is coming up except for summer when I try to get out a couple of hours before sunup. A few exceptions for new water, lakes with gates, etc.

Darrell

·
Registered
30 Posts
Water temperature depends on what time of day I fish. This time of year I'm not as worried to get out as early all though the earlier you start the longer you can fish or try to find them!! When the water temp warms up to where I might have a chance for a topwater bite I try to be at the spot I want to fish before the sun comes up. I mostly have to drive between 30 to 45 min one way in the winter and in the summer I drive an hour and 15 min one way to my favorite spot but it is worth it!! If I have all day to fish I will fish all day but most of the time that's not the case!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.