NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone! Just want to say thanks in advanced for any help passed my way. It’s been a few good years since I been to Atlantic Beach to fish. Finally getting my chance to take family. Plan on surf and pier fish mostly. Never really surf fished so I need all advice from equipment to tackle, bait, where to land my cast and of course technique. And if any of you friend would like to share a secret spot that would be great as well. Goes for both surf and pier. Again Thanks! Oh by the way I do have a 10ft surf rod with 20lb braid. I use for catfish here on one of the larger lakes. I was planning on using that in the surf and change up tackle. The trip is planned for mid to late Aug.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Not much of a surf fisherman but here is my 2 cents. Plenty of variety of fish to catch that's for sure, you-tube is a great place to look for advice on what to look out for at the beach regarding sloughs, rips etc where fish are likely to hold. As far as tackle and bait, a medium 7' pole with a 2000 - 3000 class reel will do the trick. Bottom rigs and carolina rigs with shrimp will just about catch everything from pin fish (which can be used as live or cut bait) to Blues/Trout/Flounder/Drum. The 20lb braid will also do just fine, and of course you will need some lead to hold bottom. Fish bites is always in my tackle box also, a variety of flavors is always a good thing too. Hope I am not teaching you to suck eggs..............

If you are in the Atlantic Beach area, you must go speak with the guys at Chasin' Tails Tackle shop. They will give you sound advice and of course can sell you everything you will need :) If I am going to the beach to fish I usually go to the Fort Macon area. For piers there really is only a choice of two, either Bogue or Oceana.

Hope you have a good trip and good luck!!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Use FRESH BAIT- do NOT buy the frozen bait at the stored. Fresh shrimp and dig some sand fleas . Use a 2-hook bottom rig with a 2-4 ounce weight. Try the sand bars during high tide and throw one very close to shore just behind the breakers. A foot of water is NOT too shallow.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Use FRESH BAIT- do NOT buy the frozen bait at the store. Fresh shrimp and dig some sand fleas . Use a 2-hook bottom rig with a 2-4 ounce weight. Try the sand bars during high tide and throw one very close to shore just behind the breakers. A foot of water is NOT too shallow. Use a Sand spike and keep your reel out of the sand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate all the advice. What kinda fish are running?? Hopefully flounder, Also I will be arriving in the middle of the night. From my research it will be low tide. My time to scope out the beach. I have had great days using Gotch Ya off the pier.. How do you locate a sand bar?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sand Bar will be where the waves are breaking off the beach- 50-100 yards- sometimes further. Anyway the BEST places are where you see the waves breaking offshore- then reforming and not breaking until they are near the shore. You have found a hole / slough and those are where you want to fish at. I like fishing the bar at high tide or as the tide is coming in and again right behind the breakers on shore. Pompano, Mullet, probably some spots, Black drum love shrimp and sand fleas. If you have a cast net- catch some mullet and try for a bluefish, flounder, trout, or red drum- again on the bar or inside the slough area.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Another way to find the sand bar during the day ( EASY ) is to watch the swimmers. They start out knee deep near the shore- then wade out waist to chest deep ( slough ) then once out a ways- they are knee deep again. THAT is the sand bar I am referring to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts