NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got any tips on keeping rocks from stealing bait? And hooks, and weights, and ... ? :)

All of the nearby lakes are man-made, so I figure they've all got more than their share of stumps on the bottom. (Not to mention other things that like to eat tackle). When I was at Jordan today, I tied my second bottom-rig such that the hook hung about two inches above the weight. That seemed to help, but I guess after losing the first rig on the first cast, ya can't get much worse. I tried keeping my rod tip down when retrieving, and when I thought I was snagged, I'd lift up, but tried to avoid yanking.

Are there any clues to whether it was the hook or the weight that snagged? I'm not sure if a weedless hook would have changed things... if it's the weight that snagged, the hook sure won't fix it.

Not sure if this is a clue -- every time I managed to free my rig, the hook was empty. Every time I completed a retrieve, the bait was still there. That seems to support the idea that it may have been the hook, at first glance...

It also seems that this might be an area where the 'yakkers have an advantage. Or anyone on a boat, I suppose, but especially a paddle-craft in shallow water... ought to be able to paddle to right on top of the snag, or just a little to the far side, and especially if you've got a chunk of PVC or something, you could reach down and pull the snag out backwards from where it came in. Not in all cases, but probably several... just guessing...

Thanx - lefty

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
You might try a three way swivel. Attach the main line to one swivel, your leader with hook to one and then a weight tied with lightweight mono to the last one. The key is to put a lighter test mono on the weight than your main line. This way if you get snagged, it will likely be the weight that snags and because it is on a lighter line - it will break and all you loose is a weight. Another variation of that is to use "shot" style weights crimped on to a short length of line with nothing at the end. If the weights get snagged they will pull of the end of the line thus freeing your rig.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Kayak works well and so do some plug knockers. Hampsteadfishing's split shot rig works well. If you find the split shots get tangled to often you can make your own snagless sinkers by putting the appropriate number of split shot in the inside of a short length of the outer sheath of some parachute cord.wrap the upper end around a #7 swivel with sewing thread or dental floss. the bottom can be wrapped or melted to seal in the split shot. Again tie it to the threeway swivel eye with a lighter piece of line of appropiate length. AL

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
the rig that has saved me some major $$ is a simple bass casting weight with the brass wire and a coast lock hook it to your line and bounce it a bit normally will knock it free. not always but better than anyting else..

zooker

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.