NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got home saturday from greensboro fishing expo.
My new crappie mag was in the mail and I'm glad N.C.
has fishing laws and responsible fishing. Letter to editor.
They caught 205 crappie filling 4 five gallon buckets,
weighing 25 lbs.. The only reason they stopped fishing
was there was no more room in their livewell.
How could you tell someone that was a good day
of fishing? Thats 10 good days of fishing to me.
Gary

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I know this is a touchy subject, but I hate to see so many of ANY species kept. I know they can be frozen, or used for a fishfry. I just have to wonder whether or not that many will be put to good use and was it REALLY necessary to keep so many? Are people going HUNGRY without them? I think not. Just my opinion, to which I am entitled as are all others...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i catch alot of fish every year. i keep VERY few every year..i think in the last year i kept maybe 50 crappie and 10 bass.. i do keep cat fish and some salt water fish. i am out there every weekend just for the fight.

people who keep that much fish are just wastin the resource.. yes i belive you should be able to keep a few fish.

zooker

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Every year some friends and I catch a bunch of spots, I mean a bunch. Coolers full. Then we cook them up and take them to shut-ins, poor people and others that need a hand. We feed about 500 people that way each year.

I wonder what people think when they see us with our coolers full of fish? Not that I care, but I do wonder..........

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Every year some friends and I catch a bunch of spots, I mean a bunch. Coolers full. Then we cook them up and take them to shut-ins, poor people and others that need a hand. We feed about 500 people that way each year.

I wonder what people think when they see us with our coolers full of fish? Not that I care, but I do wonder..........
Most folks ASSUME the worst... it is human nature. But as a good example to all it is best to clarify the intentions when it can look wasteful. In this case the fish are well used, but to someone else at the dock it looks like a trophy to beat or to others a terrible abuse of the resource.... KUDOS to you for doing the right thing!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
If you catch the limit and are gonna use the fish... I see no problem with it. Legal's legal... ;)

But to catch alot of fish that will eventually not be used,, I'm not for that.
Even grouper fishin, we might catch 20 in a day, but we'll only keep what we're planning to eat and I know if I want grouper for dinner I'll have to go back out and work for it! ;)

Whooo... that sure is alot of cleanin!!! that's another reason I like to keep my fish count down.. after 11 hours fishin, up since 3 a.m. and after gettin around to hosin out the boat, gear, cleanin fish and finally taking a shower after drivin 2 hours one way and 3 hours back... last thing I'd want to do is clean a boat load of fish at 11 p.m!! ha ha ha ha.....

I've experienced gettin back to the house and have the occaisional bud say... ah.. you can keep my fish (when it comes time to go home). I dont like that,, but I'll clean the fish and it usually get's donated to a neighbor or two. I'd rather take care of the fish than have him drive down the road to only throw it in the trash cause he's too tired to care for his catch... it happens... :rolleyes:

One tip: leave the fish on ice in the cooler overnight (when they get nice and stiff), makes for easier cleaning. I'll leave my catch on ice overnight and get on it first thing in the morning. It's easier after some rest and I dont seem to waste much meat that way.. so thought I'd throw that tip out there. Fish in the cooler overnight on ice will be just fine.

Sharp knives are key! ;)

here's a catch from a crew of 6, looks like alot of fish, but split for 6 family's is a decent dinner or two. If'n ya aint gonna eat it.. throw it back! ;)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Years ago, some of my kin folks used to catch spot with gill nets. One of my uncles hit it just right one year and caught over 500lbs with two nets set. The last net, he didn't even bother to take the fish out. He just loaded up the net and headed home and started calling relatives. Dad got there in time to help him take the last net full of fish out. Our whole family ate good with fish that year. None went to waste. My parents generation was brought up during the depression era. Any excess of anything was gladly shared with relatives and friends. It is completely against their upbringing to waste anything. They kinda instilled that same thinking to me.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
But as a good example to all it is best to clarify the intentions when it can look wasteful. In this case the fish are well used, but to someone else at the dock it looks like a trophy to beat or to others a terrible abuse of the resource....
Not to get on a high horse or anything but I disagree. I'm not going around telling everyone at the dock why I have coolers of fish or what I intend to do with them.

My point in my original post is maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge other people when we don't know them and don't have a clue as to their intentions.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Not to get on a high horse or anything but I disagree. I'm not going around telling everyone at the dock why I have coolers of fish or what I intend to do with them.

My point in my original post is maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge other people when we don't know them and don't have a clue as to their intentions.
I think you found the "gray area" in my point. I don't disagree that you shouldn't have to justify anything legal. I just feel in a situation like a photo in a magazine or open post on a forum it is "nice" and informative/educational to note that the fish were made good use of. I'm the first to tell someone it's not their business what I do so I agree with that point TA for sure.:)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I had read a letter where someone caught a mess
of fish, cleaned em, fried em and feed the needy.
I would have thought that was cool and kept on reading.
I might like to ask how his day went but, thats all.
I stated I was glad we some fishing laws in place.
If where they were fishing doesn't have daily limit, one
would assume they don't have a size limit either.
Thank You ......I meant not to upset anyone Gary

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Gary, I dont think anyone is upset.. I'm surely not. I think we are just defining the issue. We all seem to agree that an issue exists, we just have different ideas on how to handle it. Discussion isn't confused with "argument" here. I know the written word is often hard to use as a guage of "feelings". If I am misunderstanding then I do apologize......

Reactions: 704gary
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.