NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ventured out this morning to see what might be biting. Went out Riches inlet to troll for spanish but had a good blue bite instead that lasted about an hour. Hooked about 10 but half of them got off while reeling them in. I guess the hooks tore through:( I was alone and it was kinda tough trying to run the boat, untangle lines and catch the fish but I was determined to go today. Anyway most were caught on the shallow yozuri shown in the pic. Two were caught on the clark spoon/bird rig. decided to troll 5 miles out to Dallas Rock to see if I could pick up anything. Never did find a buoy but the gps said I was there. Due to lack of any other boats in the area I didn't stay long as I didn't get any strikes. Came back in and the inlet was turning pretty good. It's unmarked too and so I miscaculated and ended up in some shallow water. Finally found the channel and brought her home. What an outing. At least I got supper!
Gery

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Good deal H.H..........Ain't nothing wrong with some fresh Bluefish for dinner. I wonder about the Spanish myself. They definately haven't showed up, like they have in the past. Most of the ones I've caught off the pier, have been barely legal, and I refuse to keep them. When the Mullet Minnows get a little bigger, I'll have a minnow rig off the side, with my 6500c3, and the clicker ready to crank up.

Mark

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hey Gery - if you were to find a buoy at Dallas Rocks, that would be a surprise. It's a natural reef and those usually don't have buoys.

Glad you found the deeper water. Have you tried the "tracker" feature on your GPS? It comes in handy for finding the channel in Riches on the way back (assuming you found it on the way out, lol). Rich Inlet is very hard to read from the ocean side if there is any swell activity over 2 feet, especially at low tide.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Mike,
It was easy going out the inlet. High tide. Coming in was a little tougher. It was the first time out that inlet this year and I wasn't sure how to read it. The tide was just high enough to cover the bars making the channel tough to read. On top of that another boat came in and acted as if he knew what he was doing so I started following him until he hit bottom. Then I turned back and got another bearing and he followed me through. That's when a smaller, more manuverable boat is a blessing. You can do alot with a 10" draft. I did have it marked on my gps but you don't have much room for error. It takes a few trips to get it right and I do plan to give it another shot real soon.
Gery

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
now hh you know that if you posted a day or so a head that you needed a "fish fighter" while you drove the boat. i know several folks here that would jump at the offer..;)

my self inculded if i knew where that lil inlet was-which i don't- just so you all would not be scared to be out in the salt all by your lil ole self... :rolleyes:

zooker

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all,
I hadn't planned on going alone but my son backed out at the last minute because he promised my folks he would do some yard work for them.I was really looking forward to fishing with him since it's been years but was glad he kept his commitment to them. I would like to get togethor with some of the members on here sometime. That inlet changes from year to year so you have to learn it all over again. The fish were actually in the breakers next to the bars. It's tight fishing but my boat does well in shallow water where bigger boats won't go. Can't wait to try it again!
Gery

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good deal H.H..........Ain't nothing wrong with some fresh Bluefish for dinner. I wonder about the Spanish myself. They definately haven't showed up, like they have in the past. Most of the ones I've caught off the pier, have been barely legal, and I refuse to keep them. When the Mullet Minnows get a little bigger, I'll have a minnow rig off the side, with my 6500c3, and the clicker ready to crank up.

Mark
Mark,
Those blues are quite tasty as long as you fillet them and remove the skin. Nothing but pure meat. Yum!
Gery

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Ha ha, Steve-O, your comment and your picture go together incredibly well!

The baby likes his blues, I see!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.