NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this particular body of water, which is inside I-485, last year. Last year there were limited spots on the bank that could be fished. Always managed to catch a few 1lb bass. So it was a nice convenient place to fish.

so, my 5yr old girl is much easier to carry along fishing this year. To be honest, it's her fishing, me guiding...:), not much time to fish myself. We went to Reedy Creek for the first time yesterday, hated it, so left and went to the Ballantyne ponds. She loved dangling a hook off the piers and being able to see the tiny bream fight for it, catching a bunch. Not sure why all those ponds have nothing but tiny bream. Maybe over populated? Has to be hard to catch any bass in those as they have an unlimited food supply. Actually amongst all the dinks was a dink bass that never took her jig.

I wanted her to actually have the thrill of reeling in a fighting fish, so today I thought Lake Nasty might offer some better sized panfish. I'd only fished for bass there, but off we went. Lake Nasty was much nastier than it was a year ago. Tons of scum on the water, the one section of the dam that was fairly accessible last year, was pretty much overgrown with only a few spots where you could get down to the water. I was bummed, but we decided to forge ahead before heading back to another Ballantyne corp pond.

Long story short, my little one slayed the pumpkin seeds. All larger than anything we caught at Ballantyne. I think she reeled in 6 fish on the same beat up worm. I tossed a buzz bait a few times, with no success, but it was too busy taking fish off her hook to do any fishing myself. Good times. We didn't stay more than an hour then went to hickory tavern for a beer...no beer for the kid, (she had lemonade and a hotdog for dinner).

If anyone has a better option close to Charlotte for some rapid action, decent bream fishing, let me know. I'd sure appreciate it. The conditions were not great for a little girl, despite better fish, but that's probably par for the course.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
I personally love Reedy Creek, you just have to go waaaaay back and stick to Kingfisher, it gets less pressure.

PM and we can trade spots if you're interested.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, I thought about hitting the smaller pond up, but didn't make it over there. I guess the main issue is that the entire park was busy as heck. Shocking on a Saturday with great weather.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You know, I thought about hitting the smaller pond up, but didn't make it over there. I guess the main issue is that the entire park was busy as heck. Shocking on a Saturday with great weather.

There's actually 3 ponds. The highest one, Slider Pond, just this year had no fishing signs put up. Kingfisher is the middle one and I think has the best fishing, you can almost always find fish in the main feeder creek. Use craw baits and go on a weekday lol. Also wear good creek shoes as to get to some of the spots you have to cross a feeder either way.

I typically avoid the lower one simply due to fishing pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.