NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello brothas,
So here is the deal, I have been going out over the past week early in the morning for the topwater bite. I have been using a skitter walker mostly but also sometimes throw a yozuri crystal popper. I have had some luck with blues and lizard fish but have yet to put anything in the boat with bragging about. My question is many time when I cast in a location that looks fishy (especially for drum) I will wave what looks like a fish follow my bait for about 3 yards, sometimes multiple fish. Now I say "fish" follow my lure but they have never been close enough for me to identify the species, it looks like a v wake that is usually associated with drum. From y'alls experience are these "fish" flowing skitter walker actually drum? or even fish and not a weird wake made by my bait? a roe mullet? and if it is a fish how can I provoke a strike, I've tried varying speeds and pauses. Thanks for the help or thoughts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've had a similar problem when targeting drum and/or rock with topwater. Adding some procure and doing a pop-pop-stop retrieve can sometimes draw a strike. Believe it or not color on a top water also can be a difference maker between getting a fish to strike or them just following it. If you are on the pamlico an orange belly or one with a white belly and blue line on the side seem to work best. Another trick is to tie a small jig to the back end of the plug to help induce a strike.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice,
j.edwards, I have gotten this follow up advice a lot but am typically stubborn and want a topwater strike and never pick up my other rod but it seems to be tried and true so I will definitely put a little more faith in it. In your experience, do you work the sub surface or jig follow up with a similar speed as the topwater or let them sit? also I'm not 100% these fish are game fish, that was part of my dalima, is there any way to tell by the way they strike or follow, my blue hits and trout bites have always been a jaws approach were as the fish I've been seeing recently follow the bait and look as though their backs are creating a swell of water.
Saltwaterbluefish, I have tried all sorts of retrieval styles but no prevail. A few times when I would stop or slow my walking the dog the following fish or fishes would swirl away and are no longer interested. I have been working a pretty life like skitter walker, maybe a mullet or small trout imitation? not my favorite color style but other species have seemed to like it. I mostly fish the Wilmington to south Topsail. any recommendations on colors? Also what do you mean by small jig to the back of my plug? Like a trailer in fly fishing ties off the back trebbel or a speck rig ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have always been partial to a zara spook jr, but the yozuri drb is starting to grow on me. For colors, I would probably advise visiting a local tackleshop and ask or look for what color is sold out or running low. If you are in Wilmington, Intracoastal Angler and Tex's Tackle would be a good place to start.

I usually tie a crappie jig to the back. Depending on plug size you may have to experiment as the size can affect the action.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
If it's a Red he will want it. First cast blow ups one after another, slow it down.
If it's a Red he will eat it............ 29"er first cast today.
Granddaughter wanted no part, but did manage a good picture of me & the Red.
Had to leave biting fish to go look for shells....... ICM

View attachment 106897 View attachment 106905 View attachment 106913

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Never give up a topwater strike for any reason, they are explosive. Most rewarding way to catch a fish.
One on top is usually a bigger fish & is worth 10 on a jig.

A few things come to mind of what may be happening to you.
Could be Mullets, try really long cast, stop winding after blow up. ........
Hope this helps. ......... ICM

·
Red X Angler
2,479 Posts
ICM. Love the crocs!! Got that pair myself...Great in the boat and on the surf... Your a wise man and I always appreciate any knowledge you drop on us....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have a suspicion they are big roe mullet, at least sometimes. But I think my rod maybe part of the issue I broke my usual inshore rod and this new one I'm using doesn't produce a very slow dog walk, it is fast and narrow dog walk maybe three inch each zig zag.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
If you really believe they are game fish, and they won't hit the skitter walk, I'd recommend a follow up bait. Maybe a gulp shrimp on a 1/4 ounce jig or MR17. I have found it multiple times they will not commit to a topwater bait but will strike at something under the surface.
Bass are the same way. I have had them "short strike" some kind of top water, chunked a Texas rig worm in there and caught them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was using a stiffer 7ftish penn rod that came with my battle but that broke so I grabbed the closest thing in the garage which was a similar size ugly stick but with way to much action. Switched back over to 6 foot pretty stout rod today and seemed to work alot better also I had floro leader which was making it sink, cut that off to my mono and it worked well. Do any of my go straight to braid? Also no takers again this morning I got some more follows and spooked a few but my 2 stroke and aluminum boat dont help that much. Also gona tieing a loop knot for some more action

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
when I get a short strike I will often stop the bait and "vibrate" it like it is stunned, short quick twitching... sometimes they cant stand it and nail it.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Ugly Sticks are too whippy. I never tie directly to braid, ever!
Always add FC leader to add stiffness before the lure for better action. ........ ICM

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya braid was kinda a duh, but I've heard and experienced the mass of the FC causing the bait to dive sometimes causing you to work you bait faster to get the right action. I agree the stiffness is a perk, ill shorten up the floro and see it helps the weight issue had about 2 ft ill cut it down to one see what happens. Thanks again for all the help!:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.