NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a nice time today in Topsail -- would've been nicer if the fish had come out to play. Got together an armada of three kayaks, we put in at the park right beside the NC50 bridge, paddled north for a mile or so, then south for maybe a bit farther...

Lots of real shallow water today -- more time than I'd ever spent wishing I could sink my paddle blade all the way. Heh heh -- we all just about cheered one time when we found a channel along the back of this one island... "Hey look, I found some water!"

We spooked two or three good-sized fish, but didn't get any more attention than that from anything. Caught a whole bunch of slimy-grass-stuff -- I like sticks better, to be honest. At least they usually let you get a clean cast once in a while. At least the slimy-grass-stuff doesn't fight as hard, ya don't lose so much bait that way.

The air was comfortable, as long as you're in the sunlight and the breeze is down. I was glad I had my hat on all day. Also wore my 3mm wetsuit - I was very pleased with that. The times I had to get out to pull my yak over the sand, the water did not seem terribly cold. This gives me confidence that if I dunk into cold water, the wetsuit would (hopefully) keep my core warm enough to allow me to re-mount the yak. I wore a fleece sweatshirt under my PFD, the idea being that once I get back into the air, the "keeps-you-warm-even-when-it's-wet" would take care of that part. My legs did not get uncomfortable in the air, even after they'd been in the water.

I took a couple of pics of the guys just out paddling... I'll post 'em tomorrow...
Lefty

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Sorry for the delay -- Here are the shots I took.

http://www.ncangler.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/528

They're all taken with a Canon A520 inside an Aquapak drybag -- I'm pleasantly surprised with the results. Put just a little effort toward getting the camera lens up against the lens of the bag and it works out pretty well.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bag's instructions recommend putting the camera's lens up against the bag's lens; I've found it's worth the effort to do so. In the case of my camera, the lens extends when I power the camera up -- I have to flex the bag to give the camera room to do this. If it senses an obstruction, it'll abort the startup process. I've also had to wiggle the camera inside the bag to get the camera's wrist strap out of the way of the lens -- next time I'll tie or tape the wrist strap out of the way.

Reactions: Topsail Angler

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately early AM was spent driving. Takes about 2 hrs to get to Topsail -- or any salt water for that matter. So my strategy is usually to get down there as early as I can stand, put in right away, and fish until I'm worried about driving home safely.

I've got a rolled-up measuring tape in my PFD pocket. Might have to work on "wearing off" a few of those numbers... ;)

Thanx for the tip

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool! I'll have to hunt for them! My stakeout pole got misplaced on my last trip to Ft. Fisher, so I need another anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.