NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am headed to topsail this wednesday and thursday with 3 of my other friends, i am hoping to get the guys on a few fish and we wont have much time to do it.
we are staying on Carolina Boulevard and will all be able to kayak and fish, we have two person kayaks, so we can travel together. but will have to stay around that area since we have no way to transport our yaks. 2 of us are less experienced with fishing on kayak, so the other two of us will be able to help them since we are in the same boat.

the other person who has kayak fishing experience has little experience ocean fishing so almost anything to tug on a line would be good for them.. sharks, rays, or whatever, but hopefully i could catch some gamefish? flounder, reds, trout, other.. any info would be great if someone knows the area.

they may or may not have some difficulty fishing on the yak, so i am hoping to get them on some bottom or carolina rigs.. curious where i should be fishing them, and if i will be able to find mullet easily to cast net, i should think that wouldn't be hard.. or should i go ahead and just buy some fresh bait on my way in

looking at google maps i should be able to fish some pretty deep docks on banks channel and i don't know if kings creek & surroundings would hold good fish or not, but that area looks to be my only options.. also going to look at serenity point(i think that is what its called) possibly for some surf/inlet fishing. and again, any information, even small details would be awesome since i do not know the area very well.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Just down from where you are staying is a place called the dredge dock (the dredge ties up there when it is around). Good summertime flounder fishing on all of the docks leading down to that one. In the summer the flounder often lay under the dock in the shadows.

The marsh area and its creeks just across banks channel from you will hold some drum and flounder but this time of year it is hit or miss (in other words be patient and move around).

Usually plenty of bait in that area. Not sure which house you are staying in but if its on the sound and it is one of the ones that has the tidal pool/marshes that runs parallel to shore (in other words from shore you cross water, then a marsh/sand bar then banks channel) you will have plenty of bait right there. Plenty of bait in other areas along banks channel, usually plenty of menhaden across the channel near the marsh banks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thankyou!
is the dredge dock the furthest south structure on topsail that hits the back side of the island close to the inlet w/ the no traspassing signs? or am i looking for something else?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
That's the one. Five flounder there yesterday for me and my brother. Keeper flounder from the dredge dock are a very rare sight indeed but it's still fun. Be VERY careful kayaking on the south side of topsail though. The current is a killer. My brother and I were out there a few weekends ago and tried to fish the dock and darn near got drowned. Be very aware of the current at all times and don't try to anchor up unless you find some slack water. if you do manage to cross the sound there is a lot more small craft friendly water

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, we didn't fish too hard, but we did catch a flounder, and a blue. the dredge dock was a long ride in the kayaks that were at the house (which ended up actually being 1 person kayaks but we still fit 2 of us on each..) so we didn't make the trip.. i attempted some more flounder early morning and had no luck, i couldn't keep the lizardfish off my gulp.
Brad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts