NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the pleasure of having Gery (Hunter's Haven) on my boat today. He's a true gentleman and a good fisherman too.

We left around six, had a hard time getting decent size bait but we did find 7 nice size pogies 9out of about 100 we netted). Turns out we only needed 6 so that worked out fine. We left out of New Topsail Inlet and headed up the beach looking for schools of bait to fish by. We found them just off the Surf City Pier at a place we call the Rock Pile.

We only had a few hours to fish and it was a slow day for sure. We caught 2 sharks and Gery reeled in one king that tipped the scales at 18 pounds 2 ounces! The fish totally annihilated the skirt on the rig - I mean nothing was left but the little rubber bullet at the front and two small strands - he must been hungry - of course the pogy he ate was history too.

The seas were calm with a light breeze and minimal chop, very pleasant.

Great morning and nice to make a new friend. Gery - let's do it again!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Thanks for the report Mike! Glad you and Gery had a good time and some good fellowship!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Amen to being dry and I've got a hat on too but now my attention has been drawn to that pooching belly of mine:eek: Maybe some rougher seas will work on that for me! Mike, Thanks for the refresher course in live baiting and for your patience today. It takes at least one trip to learn how captains like to handle their boats and fish their lines and it certaintly was a thrill to hear another reel singing our song. I appreciate the invite and any time you get the urge, just call.
Gery

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah - forgot to mention that we had an east wind which might explain the slow bite - East is least on the ocean in these parts.

Surf City Pier reported 30 kings caught from Sat - Tuesday. Only 2 caught yesterday and those were both after 5pm - the winds shifted to the south about 3pm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.