NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was an awesome day to be on the ocean. It is suppose to be even better tomorrow and Monday. The fishing was pretty good too.

The cobia were all around the Liberty ship off Masonboro, they were basking on the surface. I bet there was 50 boats in the vicinty. That seemd to turn the bite off. I only heard of one being hooked up and it was lost. Might have been others latter.

There is a nice temp. break in the 20 - 25 mile range with a nice finger of 77 degree water between two cooler bodies just before 23 mile rock. There was quite a bit of floating material and some splotches (no lines yet) of sargasum grass. The kings and mahi were biting around the temp. breaks.

I heard some reports of nice drum and flounder being caught in the intercoastal. Saw one nice flounder being cleaned back at the dock.

Vinita at Surf City pier reports that they are catching Spanish, blues, pompano and some black drum today.

Catch 'em up!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
So whaddya catch Mike???
Marty said 40 mile Rock produced some large mahi for them, they caught some large pinks and grouper (I'm assuming red). Mahi caught on squid bait trolled.
he reported the seas were great 2's with the occasional 3 (yesterday).

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Wish I was there! Might have to run down one day this week.

Mark

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike,

Is there a rod limit on the Surf City Pier?
There is no limit but they charge $7 per rod for bottom fishing/plugging. For King fishing its $20. The fees are for a 24 hour period from the time you buy the pass.

If you make it down, make sure to tell Vinita at the register Hello for me & you might even run into Mark (pier dweller), he is down this week. Let me know what day you head there and if my schedule allows I'll try to come by for a while.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
OOOhhh thats gonna taste so good!!!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the fire seemed a little dampened yesterday, at least for us. All we managed was one small bailer. We saw two other small mahi caught by other boats - we went as far out as 40 miles off looking for those temp. breaks and debris from Saturday - never did find the debris or rapid temp. change. Ocean sure was calm though and we had a good time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.