NC Angler Forums banner

Topsail area report 3/14/2007

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Big Al 
#1 ·
Fished in the marsh creeks behind banks channel and just above Surf City today. The surface temp. reached 62 by noon time (was 58 when I left the dock at o'dark thirty). I found two large schools of red drum but most of them were uninterested in eating. I did manage to catch two under the slot sized drum and one 13 inch flounder. Drum were caught on half a mud crab (not sure of the proper name -the little purple bottomed ones) - flounder on a gulp! shrimp in new penny.

The water is warming up. Here comes Spring. Yea!

#3 ·
TA, when you say under the slot, do you mean the 18-27 keeper slot? Just wanted to understand the meaning. I want to do just that. Go along the marshes and spot fish for reds. I have a fly rod and flies ready to go. I have fished Topsail a number of times. I used to go to laniers campground years ago with my wife and the out-laws. I have been to the pier many times with much success on mullets, blues, and spanish at the end just before dark. Topsail is less commercial than other beaches. Not the traffic of EI or Wrightsville. We should make a plan to meet and you can show me how it is done. You chew on it and let me know. Nothing like inviting yourself to someone else's oasis.

#4 ·
Slowriser - yup - under the slot means the fish was less than 18".

I must have seen several hundred drum today. They are still schooled up in the marsh creeks. Same story with every one I talk to down here though - they just aren't feeding much yet. But with the warmer days - it won't be long.

You are welcome to fish with me, I'm always happy to have company. Just let me know next time you plan to come down - of course best sight casting will be in the late summer and fall. I'm just learning to use a fly rod so maybe you cn teach me a thing or two about those.

#5 · (Edited)
Mike--I figured you took the boat out yesterday! I went for gas up the road apiece and saw your boat missing! As usual, you always have some good info to share, and it's appreciated. I went out of Masonboro inlet with Linda yesterday.
We trolled around AR 370 awhile. Still getting familiar with the boat, electronics, and ocean fishing! It was simply put, a bit more experience under the belt! We had a pleasant day although I enjoyed it more than my wife. Definitely looking forward to some warmer weather!
By the way, I traded in the two wheel drive for a 4x4! Now you won't have to climb in the back of the truck bed when I pull the boat up the ramp!!!;)

#6 ·
By the way, I traded in the two wheel drive for a 4x4! Now you won't have to climb in the back of the truck bed when I pull the boat up the ramp!!!;)
Dang - I thought you might have to take me in that fancy boat of yours more often if I also doubled as a "sand bag". :):rolleyes:

Hey Monday is looking good weather wise - interested in going offshore?

#11 ·
Dave--I'll definitely be checking out AR376 along with a few other reefs this season. Don't want to move to fast as I'm still getting familiar with the whole scene (offshore boating and fishing in a CC) and definitely enjoying it! Looking forward to to posting some results as they happen. Thanks for the input!!!

#14 ·
Mike--I'm keeping the fishing to a minimum for another couple of weeks, and then watch out! Warm weather, more fish, I'll be out there as much as circumstances allow. For now some inshore fishing, and nearshore like 3 to 10 miles out is about it for me. 30 miles offshore in my wittle boat:eek:, I'm just not ready yet or even properly equipped. Now if your up to some near shore fishing, and you think there might be some worthwhile fishing, especially out of masonboro inlet or Topsail, or whatever then by all means don't be shy, Give me a holler! After all, I'll probably be hollerin at you once in a while as the weather warms and as long as you don't mind:D !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.