NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Near Shore fishing was slow yesterday & today off of Topsail. NE wind killed the bite it seems even though the water temp is down just a hair. Ocean was very calm - mostly 1-2 foot seas - a few 3' footers mixed in early this morning but not for long. Did manage to hook one 20 pound mackrel out at Dallas Rock today.

Sound fishing was a better bet. Drum are biting, esp. at night, flounder bite is good and even a few pompano were biting.

I've been playing around with that new Berkley bait - "Gulp". Stuff really seems to work, the fish hit it hard - like live bait. Caught some nice flounder with it. Hope to try some on Specs soon.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
9/05/05 The finger mullet were thick as molassas today in the channel behind Topsail Island. I mean like I never saw before - must have been 100,000 of them - really. They were so thick we just drove the boat into them and started casting our net, we filled our fish boxes in no time flat. Brought them home and put them in vaccum sealed bags and froze them - will be great bait this winter when there ain't none to be had fresh. Wind has been strong out of the NE and must have blown them up into a pile.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
They were getting some of that good old oxygenated ocean water across their gills and staging for a mass exodus. The fall surf fishing is on!! Did you drop any down to the bottom? Should have been some doormats down there. They might seem to be milling around but you can bet that they are calling all their friends to go south with them. They will need all the help they can get because there's not much place to hide once they round the bend at the inlet. Just in time to save some of that high priced gas. Run down to riches and get you some big flounder trout and red drum all for 2 gallons of gas. I'd bet the fingers are grouping up in greens channel right now. No doubt some have found their way out early but the bulk are yet to come. Pretty soon you'll see the big ones follow. tight lines and screaming drags to ya, stay after them you can sleep when you die AL

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, we dropped a few down but no flounder took our gift, left us high and dry at the door. Did manage a few today even with the strong blow.

I can do Rich Inlet via the green channel about 5 times on 2 gallons of gas....:p

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Looks like the wind is going to howl out of the northeast for a few more days but I see the water is still 81-82 degrees. Hopefully the fingers won't leave the sound til it settles down a little. My sister used to live on the southernmost canal on Topsail so I know this wind is getting a little old. The fish have been there waiting on you to feed them and its blowing down the barn. All you can do is rest up and get ready. You might get a little fishing in at greens channel but I would expect it would still be tough. Al

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to Green Channel today - too choppy to stay on the fish. We fished Topsail Creek (Olde Point) - it is protected somewhat from the NE wind - we caught a few flounder in there. The wind inshore is suppose to settle down tonight but the ocean will remain rough for a few more days.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay - here's the report for the first fishing trip since Ophelia passed our way. Not knowing what to expect because only one or two folks I know had been out since the storm, I devised the following plan: Head out at daybreak, find bait (pogies) then head out the New Topsail Inlet, go straight out looking for the tide line (dark green clear water) and fish the next hard bottom/ledge/reef for kings/mahi. Troll for a few hours, if no luck, head back to the beach, fish along the coast for Spanish. Then if no luck, head in and fish for flounder/trout/drum. I followed the plan :)

First problem - could not find bait (pogies). Searched Banks Channel, Mud Channel, Blacks Channel, etc. Gave up and went with the frozen cigar minnows and ballyhoo I always carry as a back-up. Drove 8 miles out (freind went another 2 miles), no clean water for either of us! Hit all the ledges and reefs on the way back - nothing - not a short strike to be had. Checked with 2 other friends on boats that were out today - they had the same results :(

Worked around the edges of the inlet for Spanish. Nada.

Came inside, pulled bait across the inlet, cast on the flats and marshes. nothing.

Decided to go to Rich inlet. Similiar results but I did find the pogies - thick as mud up in the channel behind Lea Island (South end). Also plenty of finger mullet. (a Friend bottom fished out at AR 364 on his boat and came home with a few black bass but not much else).

Then as the last stop, I worked my honey hole (channel) back near the ICW - bingo - a nice slot sized Drum and 2 smallies. Blacked redfish for dinner tonight! My scale is broke but the slot fish was 22 inches, the two releases were 17 and 15 inch. No flounder though (usually my honey hole will give up at least one even if it's undersized. The Drum were caught on the last hour of the falling tide using mullet, all within 20 minutes of each other. Saw one decent size trout run by about 6 inches from my leg when I was on the flats casting my net, but he was in a hurry and didn't stay for lunch ;)

Okay - water report: Lots of debris but mainly in the creeks and channels on the mailand side of the waterway. Was some near the marsh grass in Banks Channel too. Water temp was in the low 80's. Sound water is various shades of brown, lots of darker brown swirls (looks like prop wash in shallow muddy bottom water but is in deeper water). Ocean is brownish green as far as I could see. I did not find any major sand shifts in the New Topsail inlet or the channel leading up to it, bouys are still in place.

Sorry for the long report but as its the first after the storm - wanted to give all the details. :p

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
A good plan and a good report. sorry things were so tough. It looks like it will take several days for the ocean to recuperate. water temps still a little on the warm side also. I noticed yesterday that the water temps along the outerbanks had dropped considerably. AL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.