NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit up Topsail Beach for a little fishing. I was fishing docks from the bank on the incoming tide using assorted Gulp Jerk Shad on 1/4 ounce jigheads. I ended up keeping 4 decent flatties to take home for supper.....oh yea fresh fish.

Caught a load of Lizard Fish, this one was a thick 19 incher. Even had a small one hit a Storm Shrimp and a bigger lizard hit him. Greedy rascal.
Wood Road surface Asphalt Soil Flooring

Even picked up a File Fish, sure looks a lot like a trigger fish.
Bird Beak Wood Feather Fish

These ranged from 15 1/2 to 17 inches. Nice eating size. Already filleted and fixing
to be released into the Crisco Pond.
Food Fish Seafood Fish products Tail

Stopped in a Surf City BBQ for a early afternoon lunch. Man they have some big
BBQ sandwiches. If you are ever in the area you need to check them out. Oh yea, unless you have a really
large appetite, only order 1 BBQ sandwich, 2 will make you let the belt out....:D
Food Tableware Ingredient Deep frying Condiment

Didn't post pics of the fried fish....I ate most and saved some for tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Never saw a bubblegum colored Gulp before .......

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How can you bank fish docks? I can see the dock you have access to or are you wading the shallows or something?
Bank fish docks and the waters. Walk around the dock and from land and cast to each support piling. They create current breaks and fish hide behind them. Then walk down the dock and hit them again or others close to you.

I fish the dock I am using, cast to the other dock and so on. Then move or adjust so you can fish the other dock or area. I get to the end of the dock and cast way out at a 45 degree angle and let the jig and grub, 1/4 ounce or so, hit the bottom and let the tide move the bait down, then bring it in. Keep adjusting the casting angle and distance to cover different waters.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Thanks ..... gonna look for the Pink Shine & the S&S Chicken for sure. Bubblegum color Zoom super flukes are my go to cool-weather-low-light bait. Caught some nice trout on them.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am fishing the boat dock of a friend of mine. He has 2 docks, 1 on each side of his property. Add to that the dock of his neighbor on either side. Their are other piers and docks in areas that can be fished from the bank, providing one knows such locations.

Big pier and dock area at the boat ramp at Surf City. Easy to walk and fish the dock/pier and surrounding area.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
I am fishing the boat dock of a friend of mine. He has 2 docks, 1 on each side of his property. Add to that the dock of his neighbor on either side. Their are other piers and docks in areas that can be fished from the bank, providing one knows such locations.

Big pier and dock area at the boat ramp at Surf City. Easy to walk and fish the dock/pier and surrounding area.
I was there last week for a non fishing related honey do. I thought this park looked like a fishy spot but then thought about all the people on it throwing their lines in with an entire hardware store attached to it. Oh, and a piece of rank shrimp for bait. Their rigs looked like something Edward skissorhands would tie up.
Anyway sound side Park just seemed too busy for me but that's just IMO. If there are fish there I guess it's a good spot to try.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Basically I just wondered how you can fish dock to dock on the shore because of private property. Usually land that has a dock on it is owned by someone.
As long as you stay below the high tide mark in NC(beach side or sound side) you can walk, gig, fish or whatever under and around peoples docks/piers, http://www.harrislaw.net/pdf/coastal-ownership.pdf. This especially drives the people at Fig 8 crazy when the commoners come over to visit by boat. Individual states laws vary on this denying lots of people access to the water and creating private beaches/etc. But I think you should take advantage of this right with some degree of common courtesy as well when participating in recreational activities.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
This especially drives the people at Fig 8 crazy when the commoners come over to visit. But I think you should take advantage of this right with some degree of common courtesy.
You mean that I can't wear white after labor day when walking the mud at figure eight?
Seriously though, if you have access to figure eight Island shoreline you got there by bridge or boat. If by boat why not just throw toward the shore from the boat/water craft? Would targeting these docks with a kayak or shallow draft boat produce a similar presentation? I guess I am still a little unclear about this technique. The way I understand it makes me feel like a hooked fish has a lot of opportunity to wrap itself around pilings and other support structure? I really like the idea of pulling flounder from the docks because I've been told this is where a lot of very large flounder will lay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.