NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My family is going to Topsail last week of July and we'd like to charter a boat to go fishing. Ideally, I'd like to do some offshore fishing. My guess is that I'd have 4 or 5 people on the trip total.

Can anyone recommend a good captain/boat and what I should expect to pay for either a full day or 3/4 day on the water?

Thanks!

PS - A couple years back I met a Ranger at East Coast Sports and we did an inshore trip, but I can't remember his name. I do remember his boat which was this kind of monstrous flat thing. It was great though because there were four of us fishing plus the captain!

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Hi,
My family is going to Topsail last week of July and we'd like to charter a boat to go fishing. Ideally, I'd like to do some offshore fishing. My guess is that I'd have 4 or 5 people on the trip total.

Can anyone recommend a good captain/boat and what I should expect to pay for either a full day or 3/4 day on the water?

Thanks!

PS - A couple years back I met a Ranger at East Coast Sports and we did an inshore trip, but I can't remember his name. I do remember his boat which was this kind of monstrous flat thing. It was great though because there were four of us fishing plus the captain!
I believe that would have been Capt. Phil Leonard. He is still in the area and you can reach him thru East Coast Sports. Highly recommend him.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I believe that would have been Capt. Phil Leonard. He is still in the area and you can reach him thru East Coast Sports. Highly recommend him.

Capt. Phil is a great choice & he's the busy putting fish in the boat........ ICM

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Everyone!
Thanks for all the recommendations. if we go inshore again, we'll definitely go with Capt. Phil Leonard again. He was really great and while we didn't catch a ton of fish we had an excellent time. July in Topsail has never been the best fishing in the world, IMO. Definitely need a pro to put you onto the fish that are there!

Thanks again!

Scot

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
You mentioned offshore, while Phil does inshore charters I don't believe he does offshore. Jim Sabella mentioned above is a good choice. In addition to him, I'd recommend Joe Hifko of Rough & Ready Charters, there's not a better bottom fishing guide (grouper, tilefish, Black Sea Bass, etc) in the state if that's what you are looking for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts