NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another beautiful December day. The seas were a bit choppier and the swells closer together today but very reasonable for a 20 minute boat ride. I headed out to the first set of box cars (AR362) to do a little flounder fishing.

I found a spot that looked like it was holding fish and anchored up. I dropped down a 1 1/2 ounce white/chart bucktail tipped with strip bait and began bouncing the jig off the bottom. Soon I had my first taker, a 17 inch flounder. I proceeded to catch five more, two under 14 inches, two right at 14 inches and a 15 incher. I kept the 15 & 17 inch models..lol. I also caught a few black bass and kept the biggest - a 15 incher.

Not bad for a quick 2 hour winter trip! My freezer is looking pretty full lately!

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
You had a better day today than I did yesterday chasing those elusive stripers around CL! I came home with an empty cooloer. Had two hookups...but lost both.

Today I stuck around and fished off the dock. Two 16" puppy drum. I'm not sure I'm gonna leave the dock again.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
You'd have been better off with Mike than with us, Randy. Jeff, Trent, and I took our yaks all around the NC-50 bridge and didn't catch anything besides some real slimy grass stuff. Kinda odd -- water deep enough for our paddles was hard to find outside the main ICW channel... Trent had been expecting the tide to rise throughout our paddle.

When they say that the drum like to come up into the shallows -- is six inches what they mean? (Does it take less to float a drum than it does our kayaks?)

Lefty

Reactions: FishinTopsail

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We had an extremely low tide this morning - the low was at 9:44 at the inlet, so it was probably closer to around 11:30 in the sound at Surf City. Tide tables called or a .2 low but it was lower than that - I put in at 10:30 and it was the lowest I have ever seen the water at my ramp. The floating dock was high and dry!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi Lefty, Is the Hwy 50 bridge you are talking bout the swing bridge at Surf City? I fish there a lot in my kayak. And yes, I have seen puppy drum in water so shallow that the tips of their tails were out of the water as they were feeding on the bottom. I fished today north of the swing bridge and caught five pups from 17 to 22 inches. Released all. I was looking for specks but didn't find any.
Till next time....
Tight Lines!
Johnny

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi Topsail Angler, Thanks for the post. Nice flounder. I haven't caught a keeper flounder all year! Lots of fat, healthy, 13 1/2 inch fish, but no keepers. :( First time in a while I have been skunked by the flatties.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I fished today north of the swing bridge and caught five pups from 17 to 22 inches.
Great -- so much for "shoulda been here yesterday" -- TOMORROW was the key! Sheesh!

Yes, it was the swing bridge where we were... We put in there at the park after topping off our tackle selection at East Coast. We paddled under the bridge and went past the subdivision on the mainland side, way up to another network of marsh islands. Then we worked our way back through the subdivision there -- past the "Rosemary" shrimp boat, if I recall correctly. That was where we cheered when we found the channel, and enough water to sink our paddles.

Then we came back under the bridge and wandered around the south side, admiring the green slimy grass stuff and the water so clear you could see the bottom... as we dragged our boats along...

Gonna have to head back down there sometime when it's not a record-setting low tide. Y'all don't have express rail service from the Triangle, do ya? ;) All that driving makes for a long day...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.