NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im new to this website, im a young angler who is from pittsburgh and loves to fish. i discovered my love for saltwater fishing after throwing out the rod a few times in florida by swimming out to the sand bar and casting out. after catch a few sea mullet, nice sized permit and a bonnet head shark, i was hooked onto the great excitement to saltwater fishing. i will be going to topsail however in some time and i wanted to know how the fishing is there and if there are any hot spots i could go to. i plan on fishing from the pier when i go down and also wanted to know if i should take any notes to how to fish from a pier in contrast to the surf.
P.S anyone who would like to be any help please respond...thank you

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Jon1234 - welcome to NC Angler!

I grew up fishing Topsail and still do! It is a great place for saltwater fishing, I'm sure you will have a good time here. There are three piers on Topsail Island, one in each of the three towns that stretch along its 21 miles of coast. Sea View in North Topsail township, Surf City Ocean Pier in Surf City (middle of the island) and Jolly Roger Pier in Topsail Beach township (south end of the island).

I'm not sure when you planning to come down but the fall is the best months to fish from the surf or pier. Spring is decent too. July & August can be fairly slow but you will catch fish if you are patient.

In addition to the ocean piers and surf fishing, there are several nice spots on the sound side that you can reach from shore. Also if you are up for some paddling, you can rent a kayak in Surf City and paddle the sound between the island and the mainland. There are a lot of little islands and marsh creeks in there that hold some very nice fish - drum, flounder trout, croaker, mullet, etc.

Let me know if you have any particular questions, I'll be happy to answer best I can. Of course there are plenty of others on this forum that can help as well.

Tight Lines!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Welcome aboard! I was just down in Topsail the other day -- see the "Saltwater Kayak Fishing" category... I'd recommend that you try to avoid exceptionally low tides, if you have the chance, ha ha! Hopefully there was more water under the piers, though, so it might not be such a big deal there.

Keep us posted on how you do!
Lefty

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Jon, May thru Nov is pretty much the pier season. In the offseason you are better off fishing in the sound for the trout , drum, flounder and ect. that remained behind for the winter. Also the bottom fishing offshore can be very rewarding during the winter months. The best tip I can give you for pier fishing...."when in Rome do exactly as the Romans do." Another tip is fish the surf unless the bite is obviously elsewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.