NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pier Dweller and I headed out this morning at first light to do some king fishing. My live well pump died on Saturday so we fished with frozen bait instead. We headed out to some ledges just about a mile off Jolly Roger pier, nothing after an hour so we moved out to AR362. Again nothing after an hour but one knock down so we headed south to Dallas rocks. There we had a hook-up but lost it due to the captain/mate (me) not getting the other rods cleared in time :mad:

Next hook-up was brought almost to the boat, we could see it was a med sized mackerel. Just about then we saw a flash of silver hit the fish slashing it in half then coming back for the other half. But when he came back, he got hooked up and the fight began.

Pier Dweller deftly fought that guy for 45 minutes! We weren't sure but thought it might be a shark, it didn't fight like a king. We knew it was huge so we decided to fight it, after all it had been a slow day and this fish was in a fighting mood!

Finally as PD got it to the boat we could see it was a huge barracuda! As a testimant to PD's fighting ability, he caught this 40# plus (estimate based on his length and girth) fish on 20# tackle with a foul hook in his side as the only hook-up! Way to Go PD!

We were tired (did I say we?...lol) and it was about family time so we headed back in.

This is the second time I've had Pier Dweller on my boat and hope to have him many more times, he's a classy fisherman with great skills. But I think if he keeps showing up on boats, we will have to get him a new name! :rolleyes::D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Nice cuda. I was always under the impresion they were all 10 minutes of show and then it was over but I guess that don't apply when you foul hook a big one. I'm glad you two got a good day in even if if it was an otherwise slow one. He won't forget that one anytime soon I'll bet. AL

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This dude had plenty of fight, every time PD got him close to the boat he would make a run. Not real long ones but a run no less and then usually end up on the bottom. A lot like a shark. Then on the last leg of the fight, he acted like a tuna, spiral downward run, that was probably due to the foul hook.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
No oysters? Not even a stick??

Sheesh, what a waste..... :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the invitation. I had a blast. there was nothing any one man could've done about clearing 3 lines on the first fish, especially, as quick as he came back to the boat.
As far as my fighting abilities, it seemed like the boat was always properly positioned with the fish, and that pat on the back, goes to you buddy. You did an excellent job, of keeping the boat in the right spot.
Thanks again for the invite, hope to do it again soon,

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.