NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10-9-05 report: We have had so much rain the last three days I had no idea what to expect when I was finally was able to get out today. My rain gauge holds 5 inches - I emptied it twice when it was full and had another two inches after that - so from Thursday till yesterday afternoon we had more than 12 inches of rain here in Hampstead - that's more than we had during Ophelia!

Well I'm happy to report the finger mullet have moved BACK into the waterway and channels, they were on the beaches last week and I was afraid they would just make an early departure headed south. The waterway looks like a river - brackish colored. I saw nothing chasing the mullet in the waterway so I headed for the inlet. Had a pretty good afternoon fishing with some blues, drum, flounder mixed in but no specs or grays. The water temp was 80.5 in the waterway and 78 degrees in the inlet, still warm for this time of year.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
At least you got a break and got to catch some fish. Maybe the rain and clouds will go away. A nice cool breeze out of the nw for a couple of days would clear things upas long as it wasn't to strong or last to long. I noticed where Eddie Truesch on Sloop Point Rd caught a real nice flounder off their pier a few days ago. Maybe you can hang with them for the next couple of days if they have a roof on their pier.:D :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think we are going to try to sneak out tomorrow for a short trip out of New River. Hopefully we will have some luck. Thanks for the report, any info. is helpful. We have had our poles rigged and ready for about two weeks, not being able to go out is killiing both of us. We tend to get snappy when we don't fish........cabin fever I suppose!:)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My buddy caught plenty of Spots yesterday and about 14 today. Said the water in the middle of the ICW around Surf City was still tea colored but toward the inlets was better. He also caught a few flounder today. Said he heard reports on the radio of some grays being caught up your way. Good luck and let us know what you find. I'm going out Friday and Sat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wanted to let you guys know that we were not able to get out today. Our insurance guy came out today to inspect some of the damage from Ophelia. We thought we had caught all of it, but the torrential rain proved otherwise! We had a charter booked for this Sat., but it looks like it is going to blow this weekend......who knows? I sure am ready for the fall fishing to really take off! Good luck tomorrow and Sat. let us know what you catch!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I think the weather this year has kept the majority of fishermen at home. ( myself included ) Sometimes it pays to bite the bullet and fish the uncomfortable conditions. You might have to target a different species or change to different tactics but many times you can catch some nice fish when everybody else has packed it in. AL

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
10/22 It was a very windy day. The water temp was 74 inshore, didn't notice the guage when I was in the ocean.

It was too windy to spend the day and gas trolling with no fish biting so I headed back inshore and caught some nice Speckled Trout and Flounder. Saw Drum up on the marsh grass edges but couldn't get them to bite today. Water is clearing up but still warm for this time of year. Report from my friend is that the Spot fishing is, well, Spotty still :)

Fish ON

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow - the fishing has been awesome at times this week. The weather has been both good and bad this week but fishable.

Thursday I managed to sneak a few hours of trout fishing in after work and caught my limit of specks in less than an hour using Berkley Gulp on a jig head. Went back out that night with a friend on his skiff and gigged up a bunch of flounder. Weather was great - clear, very little wind. Friends who made it out earlier in the day reported the Kings were on the first set of box cars with some nice smokers being caught.

Friday was rainey and wet in the morning but I did manage to get a few hours fishing in the afternoon but the bite was off.

Saturday we started out on the reefs near shore but it was windy and there was some four footers mixed in with shorter stuff and chop so after two hours we headed back in and fished for trout/flounder/drum. Had some luck with each. Water is clear, 66 degrees nearshore, 64 in the sound and still plenty of bait in the water (mostly mullet).

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.