NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks - Headed down to Topsail early August. We will be staying just north of the 50 bridge right on the marsh - will be launching at the wildlife ramp right at the 50 bridge. I will probably fish most mornings and will be targeting red fish and trout. Anyone have any suggestions on locations, lures, tides, etc for that time of year? I assume i will need moving water and grass is key. just not really familiar with the area. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
I'd look for the last hour-long and a half of the incoming and maybe the same for outgoing.
If it were me I would fish the marshes that have deep channels close by so the water is cooler.
Good luck.

Galaxy S4. Slimkat 4.4.2 official.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Within a mile or 2 of Surf City...:) Fish the marshes, ride the tide into the marsh, as bait fish move in, so do the reds and specks. Just keep and eye open for when the tide turns around. Ride it back out.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Within a mile or 2 of Surf City...:) Fish the marshes, ride the tide into the marsh, as bait fish move in, so do the reds and specks. Just keep and eye open for when the tide turns around. Ride it back out.
Very well said.

Don't forget to take the advice here which rings in my ears when I know I've been at a spot too long nad have morphed into a "Wisherman" instead of a fisherman. Find and fish for 15 minutes and move if there is no action on your line. Not just seeing action happening but on your fishing line. There may be bait jumping and boils in the water but this doesn't mean there are drum there. I've been seeing some 2' long mullet on a regular basis and they will boil the water a lot. It is way different than what drum do but it can fool the optimistic eyeball.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.