NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may know what I’m referring to others will scratch head and say “Huh, what”?Tuesday I watched a massive cloud of gannets diving on bait being driven to the surface by unseen predators from below. Took place a couple hundred yards off the end of Surf City pier. There was no question these were gannets as they have a distinctive dive and I’ve come across this before, once off of Virginia Beach and another time just off the beach from the Wright brothers memorial. I’ve not seen gannets dive into feeding bluefish, come to think of it most birds would have better sense than to plunge headfirst into a bluefish feeding frenzy 😂

·
Registered
85 Posts
i live just inside bogue inlet and saw them along with pelicans and numerous other seabird bombarding just inside the inlet. Seemed to just be giant balls of menhaden when i went out and through a net. i tossed a few jigs through it and didnt get a hit nor did i see anything but bait on the plotter. were you able to catch any of the blues?

Wild though, they bait balls completely blacked out the water around me. saw the same bird action about a week earlier at browns inlet too. I think this is semi typical to find this tie of year as i know this is what the BFT and whales are after when you see them this time of year.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i live just inside bogue inlet and saw them along with pelicans and numerous other seabird bombarding just inside the inlet. Seemed to just be giant balls of menhaden when i went out and through a net. i tossed a few jigs through it and didnt get a hit nor did i see anything but bait on the plotter. were you able to catch any of the blues?

Wild though, they bait balls completely blacked out the water around me. saw the same bird action about a week earlier at browns inlet too. I think this is semi typical to find this tie of year as i know this is what the BFT and whales are after when you see them this time of year.
We did see a whale an hour earlier in the same vicinity .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts