NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the day sterted out slow with a west wind and muddy water. the bite (blues) picked up around 10:00am when the wind shifted to the south east. I caught my limit of blues before the water got too rough. saw few mullet, pompano, spanish, and one tiny cobia. Oh yeah and thousands of skates. SPECIAL THANKS to fishin topsail and all the staff at east coast outfitters. i was using a live blue for bait on seaview pier, when my rod "flew" over the rail before i could even react. i took a ride down to east coast outfitters where they hooked me up with a nice baitcaster combo at a reasonable price. Ten minutes after being back on the pier i hooked into a giant shark. i faught it to the pier several times over three hours, but sadly it ended up being the one that got away. i was getting exausted and started "horsing" the monster too much when the line gave way. had the time of my life and met a few other guys of the forum also. THANKS TO ALL.
Dustin

·
Registered
175 Posts
Glad you had a good time. I really like that pier as you can always meet the most interesting people. I split my time between Seaview, the beach and Surf City. Question: were you king fishing?

The reason I ask is that most of the guys king fishing strap their rods to the pier. I don't king fish (yet) but have always wondered what would happen if I rigged a small blue near the end and just waited...
I would never do that when its crowded though. Just wondering.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I learned the hard way years ago, never put a rod down with the drag tight enough to pull the rod over. I used to think with small bait I was safe. But I've caught 3-4 ft sharks on a little chunk of shrimp and they will certainly yank a rod overboard! Either a loose drag or a bungy strap from then on for me..LOL!

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
10-4........that watching your rod go overboard is a little shocking:eek: to say the least......but it makes for a great laugh and a lesson learned.:D

Glad you got out and found the pier to your liking, Frank and those guys are great to work with.

I was on Surf City Pier and they were catching blues like crazy in the A.M. Did see one small spanish caught, legal but small.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dustin
It was good to be able to put a face to your name here....sorry i did not have more time to talk,we were slammed pretty good with customers when you came in.....I fished Surf City Pier today.Blues were thick with a few Spanish..i was lucky to catch 3 out of the 6 caught today...( funny how people start back pluggingwhen you hang a spanish)
The water is still a little stained and will need to clear up more before the spanish bite gets hot enough to * KEEP ON PLUGGUING*
hope to see you soon when we can talk more ,r perhaps fish some together next time your down,,,,,drop on in the store or send me a message next time your down this way

Fish_n_topsail

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
fish n topsail.....glad you had plenty of business......didn't see ya out this weekend...did do some surf fishing sunday morning where we talked about. Didn't do anything. Caught 1 small blue, water looked good from the surf, kind of weather and surf for sea mullet or drum but no takers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Scott
Sorry you didnt fill the coolers, but maybe next time right?....i dont fish on weekends verry much unless its at night.
I fish during the week and let the weekenders have it
or if i do fish on a weekend in home by 10 am

1 - 7 of 7 Posts