NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOAA weather outlook for today was 3-4' waves with 10-15K winds. So I decided to leave early to do some Cobia fishing first then head out and troll for King Macks. The weather man was right and it even laid down some as the day went on. Nice and sunny too!

My buddy and I got to AR364 by 6:30 after getting plenty of live menhaden for bait. We put out the chum bag and a bottle of menhaden milk, then deployed the cobia rigs, bottom and float types. We also put a few Carolina rigs out for flounder and also did some vertical jigging.

After several hours we had no cobia, 4 sharks and a nice size blue. Time to move on. We headed out to several spots and trolled for kings. Caught one small one. Headed in to near the beach and pulled clark spoons. We found plenty of Spanish and a few blues. We caught about 10 but only kept 5 for dinner.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey angler
You gave me some info a while back about what was going to be biting in small boat range this time of the year. Well I'm only 2 days away from hitting the island - really looking forward to it!

Still interested in the kings. Did you troll live bunker or artificials for them? Is there a shop down there where you can buy fresh bunker? I guess you caught yours. One last question - Is it worth bringing downriggers for King? I guess they might be good for trolling those Clarks for the Spanish.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Smashten, I think he's in Kenya at present. I believe he caught that one on a live menhaden ...either slow trolling or drifting or possibly anchored up. Anyway I believe you will have to catch your own whether by netting them in a castnet or by snagging them with treble hooks. Netting is the prefered method as they generally live longer. other good baits include bluefish from 8" to 16", thread herring, cigar minnows, spot, spanish mackeral , ribbon fish, mullet, pinfish and blue runners. If you can't get any of the above, whatever you can get might just get it done. Ballyhoo work great for trolling usually with a skirt, a hood or some other device to help protect them from wear and tear from the water pressure that generally is associated with trolling. Frozen cigar monnows will also work for trolling but a neat trick that often produces well is to make up an 18" 40lb test wire leader with a #4 4x strong treble hook and jig them back in in jerks and long sweeps of a the rod. Al

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the response sinker man.

Ended up staying close to shore but still trolled ballyhoo while we ran some clarks. Picked up plenty of spanish and blues out of the southern inlet. I guess you can call it an inlet, **** my GPS even showed me going over land:D

We probably could have run out further that day, but my pops was a little green. I was thinking there would have been Kings in closer. Always heard about people catching them from the Carolina piers. Maybe thats later in the summer.

Beautiful waterways down there. Hope to make it down there again in the future.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Smasthen - sorry I didn't get back to you - Sinkerman was right - I was out of the country for several weeks.

Glad you had a good trip. Your GPS map is probably like most I would imagine, based on NOAA maps that were last updated in 1998 or 99. Like most natural inlets (no jetties or other man made barriers) the inlet shifts around throughtout the year as various storms and currents cause the sands to shift. Most of the barrier islands in NC "migrate" as well. That is, the ends of the island shift in a north/south direction. I use a GPS to get back to the vicinity of the inlets but always rely on local knowledge and the buoys to navigate the channel.

The Kings still haven't moved in real close because all the rain has kept the larger bait off the beaches - the kings will come when the bait does. Ususally that has happened by now so hopefully as the water clears back up they will be here soon. We are catching them 12 - 20 miles out in very good numbers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.