NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I visit topsail once a year or so for family vacations. This fall (Early September) I am going down with a couple other families as well. The guys and I want to get out fishing and are considering a charter one day, but I want to rent a kayak for the week as well. We are staying in North Topsail about 3 miles northeast of the 210 Bridge on new river inlet.

I wanted to find a few places that I could put a kayak into the sound. I know of the boat launch at the bridge itself, and a few places further south. However it looks like there might be some less structured areas that might work, I'm just not sure of the legality and wanted to see if anyone had some info. Here are a couple coordinates that can be plugged into maps.google.com:

34.496370, -77.412559 Part of the North Topsail Beach Park, could I park and just carry the Kayak over to the water near the pier?

34.516991, -77.371840 This looks like it might be part of a private neighborhood I'm not sure, same thing could I drive to the end of the road and walk the kayak into the ICW?

Thanks for the info.

Greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
34.496370, -77.412559 Part of the North Topsail Beach Park, could I park and just carry the Kayak over to the water near the pier?
The ramp you are referencing above is open to the public. I am not sure about the one in the neighborhood.

~James~

·
Registered
93 Posts
2nd one looks like there might be a gate on it if you zoom in close in google earth, but looks like it'd have nice access to salt marsh to the east if it was open.

The Surf city public boat launch has some potential: 34.428583, -77.549629
Maybe around the south side at 34.349979, -77.653223 as long as you avoid the inlet and deep ICW during tidal shifts and boogied over to the flats

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is also a public area south of your first #'s and the high bridge and right above Porta Vista Dr., however I think the gates open at 8:00 though. Found that out one early morning. Also a put in on Reeves Ct. which is public. No parking there so somebody would have to drop you off. Fulcher landing in Sneads maybe? Soundside in Surf City, far south end soundside or far north end other options. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
At mile 12, there is a public beach access with parking on both sides of the road and really easy sound access for a kayak with a bathroom and snack bar on the beach side. That's a good place to go if you have people wanting to do different things.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
That looks like a really nice spot to launch from Andy, I'll have to check it out. Any luck catching flounder in that bay area just out past the launch?

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I have not launched there yet but I saw others launch there and it is very obviously part of the public area. I launched into the surf on the other side of the street and I fished a little in the tiny "pond" and we threw the net a bit there. It is a very short distance from the parking lot to the water and some semblance of a beach where you can launch:
ry_topsail.jpg
That is probably less than 100' from where my truck was parked. I have heard good things about the island preserve that you get to if you exit the small area into the larger sound area.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks! I haven't been out in the kayak since I had shoulder surgery, and that place looks likes like a great spot to break it in. I think I'll probably try it out next weekend if work permits, I'll let you know how it goes if I do go!

It looks like there's some nice bottom structure for trout on the satellite in that bay, and it looks like there's a decent hole where that bridge got demolished. And the marshes to the west look like a 20 minute paddle. I wonder if it's a nice trout spot in winter...

-Matt

·
Registered
93 Posts
Went out there Saturday, the large sound area is tough to fish with the wind pushing you around. Bumped into a few reds and flounder beating the banks of the near side of the island. The area to the southwest of the island/sound is nice and shallow by the creeks. Staked out the kayak and went wading. Saw a lot of fish tailing and a lot of wakes but I didn't dial into them before the tide changed. Saw another boat pick up a few. Nice place to be, but the large sound area is a little big. No camera since the battery was out though, sorry. I imagine trout are good there in the winter though. Could recommend if you like the Surf City area.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
That is one of my go to beach areas if I day trip from Raleigh. I don't know of another beach I can get to in less time and usually find a place to park (have to be early on the weekend) for free that has good facilities like that. The sound side is a nice bonus and I do plan to do some paddling there. Bumping into a few reds and flounder sounds good to me. The sound is big there? Cross the street and paddle out a little ways and it will give you a different perspective. :D Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yep, it's my favorite beach I've been to for accessibility, people, and beach quality too! My preferred gig there is to park at the south tip and hoof it to the southern inlet, it feels like the beaches back in FL because there's almost no one else down there. I used to fish the Gulf of Mexico in a canoe and that kind of worried me if I was more than 2 miles out. I can't imagine how it feels to be in the ocean ocean. I want to do it sometime for kings/spanish, but I don't think I'll do it until I get a marine radio and some flares, or convince a friend that it's a good idea!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I plan to go BTB there and probably at OI and EI with some regularity once I get the kayak I am building done, but it is being built with an eye toward doing exactly that; somewhat surf ski inspired. I paddled my little rec yak out just past the breakers at that TI access point in the spring and it wasn't too bad, but as is often the case the only trouble I really had was coming in. Even in the Gulf (and I know and love the Gulf) I would be nervous about an open boat more than a few hundred yards out, and even then only if it was calm without any threatening clouds around.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
BTW, you likely know this but there is actually an access point of sorts just inside the inlet. Not a lot of parking and the facilities are portajohns that get a bit fragrant, but that's a tempting spot to do a BTB trip from if you time it right to avoid current.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I look forward to getting out there in a few weeks to catch some fish. I will be hitting up a few spots up and down the island starting closest to the house and moving out if needed. I picked up a couple packs of Vudu Shrimp to try out, I will also use some live/frozen bait; shrimp and minnows etc. Any other suggestions on things to try?

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I look forward to getting out there in a few weeks to catch some fish. I will be hitting up a few spots up and down the island starting closest to the house and moving out if needed. I picked up a couple packs of Vudu Shrimp to try out, I will also use some live/frozen bait; shrimp and minnows etc. Any other suggestions on things to try?
If you fish the surf, I always like to have a reasonably heavy spoon ready to throw if I see baitfish getting harassed close enough to cast to.
Topwater lure or two for early/late in the day in the sound.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
BTW, you likely know this but there is actually an access point of sorts just inside the inlet. Not a lot of parking and the facilities are portajohns that get a bit fragrant, but that's a tempting spot to do a BTB trip from if you time it right to avoid current.
"Fragrant"! That's one generous way to describe them. I'd call them" emergency pottys".
Next time you plan a trip to the area let me know.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I picked up a couple packs of Vudu Shrimp to try out, I will also use some live/frozen bait; shrimp and minnows etc. Any other suggestions on things to try?
3" white or new penny Gulp shrimp. They catch when almost nothing else will and it's as close to a do nothing artificial as it gets. 1/8oz jighead, gulp shrimp ... drag it across the bottom, jerk it along higher in the water column or fish it under a popping cork.
Of all the baits in an inshore tackle box Gulp shrimp account for more fish caught than anything else. When all else fails try the gulp.

Reactions: RouseD
1 - 20 of 22 Posts