NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a late start this morning as the wife had been sick and I wanted to make sure she was fine before I left. Ended up going with a friend and his daughter on their boat.

We left the dock around 11:30 and started looking for some pogies. There was so much boat traffic we couldn't find any inshore so we headed out of the inlet and up the beach looking for some. We found them about 2 miles south of Surf City Pier in 17 feet of water.

We had the lines in by 12:30 and fished that area for an hour. We decided to move and we started pulling the lines. Had them all in but the medium-long line and ZINGGGGG... off went the clicker. 5 minutes and three runs later we had a 17 pound king in the box.

As you guessed, the lines all went back in the water and we went back to fishing. 20 minutes later I noticed our prop wash bait was rolling. So I pulled it in to put on fresh bait - then I saw why it rolled - it had it's lower third slashed. A sure sign of a King hit. So quickly I baited up and feed the line back out. Sure enough, there is Mr. King in the prop wash swimming next to the fresh bait. We dropped it back a bit - still watching but not biting. Then he disappeared. Thirty seconds later there he is again, looking at that bait again... Waiting.... waiting, then he drops back 10 feet, I'm thinking he's about to leave again. Then ZING - he charges the bait, hooks up and makes a run for the deep water! A few runs later, 12 pound King in the box.

We also caught a nice size Spanish and a nuisance shark. Not bad for a short, late starting fishing day!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Randy, she is. Either the stone passed or it decided to lay low again. I think the former as she had some intense pressure last night then all of a sudden it was relieved. She is still very sore but the pain has subsided. Thank-you for your prayers!

·
Registered
709 Posts
TA,
Glad to hear a good fishing report. Sorry about the wife. I know the feeling. I had 4 stones last december that wouldn't pass. After 3 days of intense pain I gave in and went to the doctor. Ended up getting them blasted. setting me back 18 grand. Wasn't drinking water. You bet I am now! Which one are you in the pic?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Man thats a good fish story, I can only imagine catching good eating fish like that. Glad the wife's better, they are so painful as you must know, I never pased mine and they had to go in and retrieve mine with what felt like a chain saw, a most humbling ordeal.

Jim

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Nice catch.. Sorry about the Wifey...

Reactions: Topsail Angler

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife Mike. Stones can be terrible! Glad the short fishing trip was productive..........way to go!

Mark

Reactions: Topsail Angler

·
Registered
477 Posts
Mike,

Very nice catch, especially with all things considered. We gotta talk to the wives though, and tell them to stop taking turns! Seriously, I hope she is ok! Linda's laser procedure worked out well, and she's is heeling well. About next week, let me know what you think weatherwise at this point. If it looks like its gonna be rough, I'll probably stay near shore or inshore. Keep in touch and let me know how your wife is doing.

AL

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Nice report. I wish ya'll could have got the other one. One apiece . I wish I could ship you a tanker load of this good mountain water so that ya'll could enjoy a little preventive maintence. They tell me 1/2 gallon of water a day is the minimum a person should drink. I know I haven't been doing that and it's a shame cause the water is already paid for and among the best there is in these parts. I'll do better after wed. though. Finally getting a C-Pap machine then. If I can start drinking as muh water as I have been coffee then I should Be allright.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Nice report. I wish ya'll could have got the other one. One apiece . I wish I could ship you a tanker load of this good mountain water so that ya'll could enjoy a little preventive maintence. They tell me 1/2 gallon of water a day is the minimum a person should drink. I know I haven't been doing that and it's a shame cause the water is already paid for and among the best there is in these parts. I'll do better after wed. though. Finally getting a C-Pap machine then. If I can start drinking as muh water as I have been coffee then I should Be allright.
Hang in there Sinker... That Cpap is gonna make you feel sooo much better once you get used to it!! :)And I'm sure we all could do with drinking more water... Alot of folks think fluids is fluids but anything sugary doesnt absorb well into the body so you dont get the fluid you need... Some artificial sweetners are treated by the body like sugar as well so even then you don't absorb the water so the best thing for you is just plain old good fresh water!!

·
Registered
709 Posts
The doc told me 8 glasses a day. I was drinking alot of sundrop and even grapejuice but it's not the same as pure water. Of course it's easier to drink it when it's hot but during the fall and winter it's a bit tougher. Also water helps in the digestive track to keeps things flowing smoothly. Doc said my body was dehydrated. It's good to be on the right track now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.