NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the dock at 5:45 this morning - gathered some nice pogies very close to home and headed out of Rich's inlet with high hopes for a spectacular day of catching. First stop was Dallas Rocks. We had the baits in the water by 6:40 - fished there till after 8. Nothing but a Barracuda to show for it.

We moved further out to a place called 9 mile rock, just before we got there we found a huge patchy weed line. I saw a huge fish jump a few hundred yards ahead of us (can't be sure but I think it was a sailfish), then we spot a dolphin off our starboard side but couldn't get him to come play in our spread. Sight casted to him but no go there either. No further action at this spot, save one shark on the down rigger line.

Tried a couple of other spots and then we hit pay dirt near 18 mile rock. We found large schools of bait and worked around them. We boated some nice kings and parted ways with some toothy sharks before we spotted the dark clouds to the southwest of us (headed northeast - toward us).

So we raced for the hill, just beating the thunderstorm and rain to the dock.

Total for the day:
Invited into the boat - 4 kings (biggest was 12 pounds).
Denied permission to board: 1 big stinky, 4 sharks
Declined invitation to play - one gaffer dolphin

Here's a picture of the two I brought home:

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Man, them are some nice fish! The wife and I wanted to hit the coast today but the weather scared us off. I got caught before in some semi-bad conditions...didn't particularly like seeing waves come over my bow.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, them are some nice fish! The wife and I wanted to hit the coast today but the weather scared us off. I got caught before in some semi-bad conditions...didn't particularly like seeing waves come over my bow.
Thanks!

Yeah - them storms can be scary for sure. We were fortunate that there wasn't much wind with this storm but there was a light show and that is what concerned me the most today. Praise the Lord we made it in before the lightening got here.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Thanks for the report Topsail!

I was on Topsail Island all day long Saturday. Well, most of the day. I drove up from Southport after the Capt. of the boat we were going out with cancelled on us at the last minute. After that I just decided to head to Topsail. I hadn't been there in a long time. I was kick'n myself for not having your number though it wouldn't have done me any good with you being at 18 mile rock. I missed the Pompano bite on the South end as they were biting at dead low tide and incoming. There was a gentleman there at the last public access on the south end that had caught 4 of the biggest pompano that I think I have ever seen. He said he caught them about 2 hours before I got there. I gathered up some sand fleas and gave it a shot anyway. The clouds and thunder started rolling in from the south east so I went north in an attempt to avoid the storm. I drove out on the beach up at New River Inlet but nothing going on there either. Went back south just below Sea View and finally got run off by the storm. Somehow, graphite rods and lighting just don't mix with me. I did manage to catch some sharks so I didn't get skunked. I really enjoyed just spending the day there. I guess the high light besides being on the beach was eating breakfast at Batts Grill.

Mark

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
That grill still retains the old atmosphere....just a little more crowded. Some of the new places might be nice and have good food but if they don't have that "Topsail Atmosphere".... well...I just don't have time for something that I can get anywhere.
Just as a footnote to those big Pompano...there was a permit caught at either hatteras or Ocracoke this weekend. Estimated about 10 or 12 lbs. pics were made but I haven't seen them yet. I probably will look again in a few min. On the rod/lightening thing just use fiberglass...I wouldn't want to mess up a good graphite rod either.:D

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Livebait - yeah, the cellphone don't work out at 18 mile rock and when we came home I was dodging them storms. But some other time when you are this neck of the woods give me a call.

Batts Grill for breakfast is the ticket for sure, just something about their grease ;)

On the way in, I stopped and put all the fishing poles down. My fishing buddy asked why - I said graphite is like a lightening rod. He thought about it for a minute, realized he was now the tallest thing on the boat and decided to sit down at the back of the boat :eek:

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I couldn't find the Permit pictures It may take a few days for them to surface. They may not surface at all . It was caught at Hatteras Inlet. It was mentioned on the RDT fish report. No that isn't the Randy Durham Tackle. :D (It has something to with red drum.)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I will definitley give you a call next time Mike!

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.