NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
November 4th - Inside fishing has been hot this week. Flounder, trout and reds with some bluefish mixed in. Today caught Trout on Pumkinseed colored Gulp bait using a pale yellow jighead. The flounder were caught on live finger mullet using a Carolina rig. Water temp was 66 degrees.

Reports from friends say the King bite is hot around the first and second set of box cars as well as around the "River Bed". I'm headed there in the morning and will let you know how we make out.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
11/5/2005 Great Fishing Day! Weather was awesome, seas were light and best of all the Kings were tearing up the bait!

We headed out at dawn for the first set of box cars off of Topsail (AR 362) where we found lots of company but also bait and Kings. The Kings were swirling and skying all morning! We caught 9 Kings today. The biggest we caught was 12 pounds with most in the ten pound range. Also, the bite was good at the second and third set of box cars as well as in the "River Bed". Water temp was 66 degrees. We used live cigar minnows and some dead ballyhoo for the fast troll runs. They seemed to hit the prop wash line as much as all the other lines combined. Didn't seem to matter what color skirt we used.

Here's a picture of three that came home with me:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
hampstead--- Great pic. Those look just about the right size to cook on the grill, basted with butter, fresh garlic, and lemon juice. I had to pass thru your fine city yesterday on the way to Wilmington. I can't get over the rapid developement in this area. It doesn't seem that long ago the only thing you could see from US 17 was the old school , the fish house and the 25 ft. Robolla boat which was for sale so long it became a landmark. lol Our coastal North Carolina outdoorsman paradises just keep growing.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. In fact that's just what I had for dinner last night except I loaded them up on both sides with Old Bay seasoning instead of the garlic - still used the lemon juice and butter. They were delicious.

Yup - Hampstead is really growing - too fast for me. Let me know next time you'll be down, maybe we can get together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wondering if anyone ever fishes the point at at Surf City towards the end of the island, my uncle and i are going out there this weekend, and wondered if anyone is having any luck out there

Also how is the peir action, any updates would be great

thanks

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The island of Topsail has three towns. Surf City is in the middle of the Island. The Southern Beach town is Topsail Beach - the point there faces Topsail Inlet. The Northern beach town on the island is called North Topsail Beach (very original huh:)), the point on that end faces New River Inlet.

The Fishing has been awesome on the point, in the surf and on the piers as well as off shore and inshore (classic fall fishing this week). You can drive onto the beach and down to the point at the south end of the Island but you will need a permit from the town - it costs $50 for non-residents. You can park and walk to the point but you will need a wagon or something if you have a lot of gear as it's a good ways. Beach access is great, lots of public access with parking right there. For pier fishing, if you come onto the Island via Hwy 50 (center of the Island), just go straight back to the beach, turn right and on the next block is the Surf City Pier.

There is a blow coming in tomorrow that is suppose to really kick up the waves, but it is suppose to be calmed back down by Friday night and Saturday. Not sure what effect if any it will have on the catching.

Hope you have a great trip, let us know how you make out.

Tight lines,
Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
well we are thinking about going to the part where the Army base is across the water on the other side, what part of the town is that. Also do they also charge $50 for driving on the beach there, I would say it has been 2 years but we never had to pay before, I remember the last time we went we ran into the best run of Red/black drum that i have ever saw, i am hopeing for more of the same this weekend...

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah - that would be the north end and its a Marine Base - Camp Lejeune on the otherside of the Inlet. I'm not sure if North Topsail Beach requires a permit or not, been a long time since I was up there. I grew up going to that point, back then it was called West Onslow Beach...... a lot has changed, I'm more familiar with the middle and south ends now as I live in Hampstead now.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry guys - my internet connection went dead Friday nite and didn't come back till today (must have been those sea gulls again... ;) ). So here is three days of reports rolled up into one post:

Late afternoon Friday fishing produced 6 gray trout and 3 Specks in just over an hour of pre-dusk fishing. Grays were caught on diamond jigs just outside the inlet over a rock in 26', Specks on a yellow jighead with a pumkinseed colored Gulp shrimp on the marsh banks; Picture of the trout are below.

Saturday was awesome - The King bite was on Today at Emery's Ledge. The ocean was as flat as a lake and the sun was warm! What a day. They were hitting about anything you cared to troll. Again most were in the 10-12 pound class. Stopped on the way in and picked up some trout at the 'rock' (now called Gray Rock on my GPS).

Sunday - Reports from friends says the Kings were still biting today - 12-15 miles out. We stayed inshore today, went out after Church. Limited out on Grays & Specks, same bait and places as Friday. 'Gray Rock' is pretty amazing - I drift across it and almost always hook up. Boats on either side of me by 20' or so catch almost none. I just hook-up, then motor back to the other side of the rock, drift across and wham! It's a small rock formation maybe 10' in diameter. Most of the ones I kept are in the 18 inch range. The Speck bite has been amazing too - 45 minutes max to limit out but most are in the 12-14 inch range. I kept my last slot open hoping for a bigger one - even tried big mirrolures - they would hit it but still same size fish. Caught 2 flounder in the flats near my creek on pop-eye mullet. Yes the mullet are still here - a little harder to find than last week but still plenty of them once you find them and some huge ones mixed in.

Oh yeah - Ocean temp outside was 68, inshore was 66 (was 62 degrees in the creeks in the early morning which is probably why the bait was harder to find).

No Pictures from Sat & today - well I got pictures but my camera went home with a friend today by accident :mad:. So maybe later this week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mike

Wish i would have gave you a call this weekend, seems like all the fish were off the coast, we fished all weekend for Trout, Drum and basically anything else that ammounted to a decent fish, Caught only one Flounder wish was about 21" and about 40 skates and a bunch of other trash. Had a blast but was kind of dissapointed with the outcome, but needless to say we will get them next time..

·
Registered
14 Posts
First night we fished North Topsail Point, it has been washed away pretty bad by the Hurricanes and now you really cant get to the area where we use to fish, we then tried Jolly Roger peir (no luck) fished the sounds at the South of the island, as well as the new pier at the North End (Skate Heaven).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since the dissapointing surf fishing weekend last weekend i have been thinking about purchasing a boat, it seems like that is the way you can gaurantee getting to the fish, with that said does anyone know where a good place to look for a boat, also around what water temp will the trout and drum move back towards the coast, i really want to get down that way again hopefully after thanksgiving,,, yall have a great night:cool:

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
jag, I've got a little Boston Whaler I'll let go real cheap. It needs some work, but would make a nice boat. I fish on a 18' Fisher, and don't really need the Whaler.I've been catching my limit on trout and flounder on the surf and pier,when the water is pretty,that is. I took my toddler flounder fishing Sunday afternoon on the pier, and we had our limit of flounder in about 2-3 hours. Some pretty ones too. Sorry you didn't have better luck.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The next time you are fishing Topsail swing by East coast sports or Herrings and ask them what the fish are doing. Get all the details you can as they can make or break a trip. If the fish are eating finger mullet then that is what you want to fish with. This time of year if the finger mullet are hard to find look for the fish to be feeding on glass minnows or bay anchovies. If so down size and fish speck rigs or small jigs and spoons. Size matters as much or more than color when the baitfish are abundant. AL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bread man send me some pics of your boat sometime, my uncle and i might be interested..

AS far as the weekend went it sounds like we were at the wrong place at the wrong time, your right East Coast Sports is a nice place with very nice people...

Talk to you guys later

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Didn't get home in time to take the boat out today but I did go down to the ICW and throw in a line for some flounder. Didn't catch any but much to my surprise the mullet and little bunkers are still THICK in the creeks. I loaded up a cooler full for tommorrow just in case another night of freezing temps move them out of the sound. Reports from several fisherman coming in said the Speck bite was hot today, esp. this afternoon just before the low tide. Also said the drum were working the boat docks along the ICW.

Tight lines!

Mike

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Work is a drag when the fish are biting but it makes it all possible. At least you'll have bait for a good while.Just paid 6.oo for 50 hooks. I must have something wrong with me. Normally I would have walked on if they were over 3.00. just had to tie some crabs really bad I guess. Maybe I can make you a couple of spin versions soon for those time when you are thru fishing and you want to scare the fish away. They are a good way to keep your favorite holes fish free for a few days.;) AL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.