NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fairly new to the area (Goldsboro). I've done quite a bit of surf fishing on the gulf coast of Texas for Reds and trout and the occasional spanish macks. Is the surf productive in Topsail or Moorehead city?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate it. Im without boat so getting to good spots presents a problem for me. I do a lot of wade fishing. Is there any decent flats fishing in the area that is accessible by a car?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I occasionally surf fish Topsail whenever I'm down for vacation. As TA indicates, productivity depends on the season. I've caught plenty of blues and whiting. Have seen people land decent flounder and black drum. There are a few public access points on the ocean. Parking can be limited. There's plenty of parking at the western point of the island, but then you've got a fairly long haul on foot with your gear. A wagon would be the ticket. There's also a really nice fishing pier on the ICW near the bridge (on the right as you arrive on the island). East Coast Sports is a good place to go for gear and local knowledge.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
:D Man there is a lot of fantastic fishing opportunities on Topsail. There are a lot of places you can fish with out a boat. Some places just better than others. You will have to do some searching to check out the local spots and then you can claim some for yourself.

There are also 3 fishing piers on the island and all have there loyal resident guest that show up to fish. There are a lot of places that you need to just ease around and check out and see for yourself.

Tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
108 Posts
I come down to North Myrtle beach to vacation with the family. I surf fish often. Is the fishing in that area worth it.. I get the feeling that the water stays shallow for a long way out, even at low tide. I've always felt that it would be better fishing if there was a greater drop off. Am I wasteing my time in NMB.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
NC definitely has better fishing than MB or any of SC just for the reason of water depth. I think NC has some if not the best piers and surf fishing on the east coast!

Reactions: Scott Hobbs

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I come down to North Myrtle beach to vacation with the family. I surf fish often. Is the fishing in that area worth it.. I get the feeling that the water stays shallow for a long way out, even at low tide. I've always felt that it would be better fishing if there was a greater drop off. Am I wasteing my time in NMB.
I know nothing about NMB fishing but I will make a comment on the shallow water side of things. As related to the waters around Topsail Island & Lea Island, near the shallowest water is were you will find the Pompano and at certain times of the year, drum. The reason being is they come to feed on the mole crabs which get caught up in the tumbling surf. Best time for that is on the out going tide. Not sure if that will work in NMB but it works here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.