NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming down to the Topsail area Thursday - Sunday. First saltwater trip with my 17 1/2 ft. bass boat. Need info on best areas/ramps for a boat of that size. Staying in Topsail/Surf City area and thinking of maybe fishing the area around New River/Stump Sound/ICW if weather & water conditions allow. Fishing for Reds/Specks/Flounder/whatever's biting. Any help appreciated!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
From what I have witnessed here on board I'd say ICW is always a pretty safe bet..

Reactions: DW46

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
DW - if you are staying in Surf City, put in at the wildlife ramp in Sound View Park. It is right next to the bridge and has lots of parking.

Try right around the bridge first - often a doormat or two will be handing around there. Then you might want to try going north about a mile or so and you will see some non-official white pole markers on the right - follow them in as they curve back south - this will lead you to the canals and creeks around the "numbered" streets in Surf City - can be very productive this time of year.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, especially with the short notice. I'll be sure and post a report when I get back. First timer with inshore boat fishing (usually a surf-caster), so don't expect too much!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Be sure and have plenty of gulp with you, them saltwater fish seem to love it on a red jighead.
I to am just getting into the inshore fishing with a boat and have a 17 foot procraft that is pulling double duty and I can tell you from first hand experience be careful if you see the water rolling and getting some swells. See my post about fishing oriental,nc on the inshore and sounds area. Was not fun.
Another thing I learned the other day is have some good batteries for your trolling motor. I was fishing queen's creek and had lot's of current from tide and wind by the end of the day the trolling motor wouldn't even hardly move the boat on 5, I got energizers from Sam's club 210 reserve capacity I think.
Any way good luck and please do post a report, I saw that park the last time I was at surf city and would love to put in there some time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.