NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Was going to PM Mike but thought I might get a few more ideas if I post. Will be at Topsail for the first time in early Augus. Always went to Hatteras before that and sound fished. Would like to do some trolling nearshore to Topsail for whatever. I fish for muskies near home and figure I could use some of my plugs for trolling.

What water depth and lure depths should I run to catch (?)

Also can anyone refer me to some structures within 10 miles to take my son bottom fishing? I found the link for artifical reefs. and only looked like two near the southern tip of Topsail. May take the Vonda Kay out but we prefer to move around and have the freedom in our own boat so the majority other than sleep will be in our 18'.

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
709 Posts
Net-work,
Did you get a gps map of the reefs online? If not I copied the page out of mine for topsail area if you need it. I don't know how to insert it here so you'd have to send me your e-mail address and then I can send it if you need it. Hope you enjoy your stay. I'm sure TA will reply soon with some more info.
Gery

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
In the meantime here is a link to a map w/ everything on it but the #'s and names.
www.ncfisheries.net/habitat/chppdocs/H Hard%20Bottom,pdf
well it was supposed to work that way but if TA doesn't fix it you can access it by going to links at the top of the page and click then scroll down to Other saltwater links and click on that and then scroll down to Chpp Hard bottom and click. Then when it comes up the map is on pgs. 28-32.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Bird rigs, bird rigs, bird rigs (hint) ;)

Nearshore, I'd also try cedar plugs, Yozuri deep diver type plugs, King spoons and any kind of Storm or Mann's diving plug in a mackeral color (green or blue).

Out of Topsail, AR's 376, 386, and the Dredge area would be good places to consider.
Close in to Wrightsville, the 3 mile (aka Liberty ship) would be a good area as well as there's a bunch of tugs and other stuff around and spanish, kings and cobia are known to hang in that area. When the bite is on,the birds will give away the action.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only thing I have found so far is the artificial reef listing from NCDMF. Gives coordinates and a rough representation of area. Hunter Haven, I went you a PM with my email if what you have is better or different than what I have so far. I can create a GPS overlay for my Lowrance on the PC, and "I think" I can preload the coordinates onto the overlay

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Net-work - I assume you are running out of New Topsail Inlet (south end of island) - if not - I'll give you additional info for north end later.

AR 360 is just northeast (3nm) of the inlet, 364 about 6 miles southwest, both within 2 miles of land. Not sure of the style of your 18' boat, those AR's Wellcraft gave you are good spots but a long run from NTI - 16 & 23 nm (versus 10 & 17nm from Masonboro Inlet). AR 362 is 8 NM out of the inlet (locally known as the first set of box cars). The AR's are good spots for bait and to troll.

I'll send you an email with GPS numbers for some ledges and live bottom inside of 10nm (going out of NTI).

Spanish and blues should be near shore then, maybe Kings too. Look for the birds in the air and troll your birds with Clark spoons on the surface (as Wellcraft Dave said). I also put a couple of Yo-zuri Crystal Minnow Deep Divers in the spread to cover the water column. You can also troll some Clark spoons on trolling weights. There are several previous threads with the details so you might want to do a search.

For Kings you can pull lures but usually the really big ones bite best on live bait. Try jigging some up at one of the AR's using a Sabiki rig (multiply gold hooks on a line with a pyramid weight on the end). Also those small blues make excellent baits for kings. Again, I posted some detailed info (with pics) on rigs for Kings in another thread.

Let me know the dates you will be here and if I can swing it, I'd love to meet up with you and do some fishing!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea Mike, I'll be going out of New Topsail.
Thanks again to all, Will be ordering a couple birds and clarks today. With all the info you guys have hooked me up with, should be a good first trip to Topsail. >(((((o>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.