NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a crazy good bite w/a topwater popper this weekend. Water temps started at 65F (low 70s by end of day) and figured out there were lots of bass in shallow. Thought I'd give a popper a shot, and quickly determined the fish were eager to cooperate. Most fish were in the 1.5lb+ range and put up a good fight. But picked up several in the 3-3.5lb range, and one at 5lbs 1oz. The biggest fish hit the lure on a pause, often bushwhacking it from below with hardly a sound -- they'd just suck it down and sometimes I wouldn't realize it until I tried to pop the lure and came tight on a fish. Bite lasted all morning and only tapered off when the cloud cover burned off. Still caught fish in the bright sun with the popper, just focused on shaded area against the bank -- although after that it was mainly dinks.

Wasn't expecting a topwater bite yet, but just gotta be wiling to give it a try when conditions are right.

FYI -- joel

Water Vertebrate Fisherman Fish Lake
Vertebrate Fish Fisherman Fish products Fishing

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, you know I tried that crank. But think I'd just seen a Wired2Fish video on topwater fishing, and thought I'd give it try once I put the rising water temps together with reports that the fish were in shallow water. I wanted to find a "search bait" to cover water and find fish -- which the crank often does for me. Prob wouldn't have stuck w/the popper very long if the fish didn't start hitting it immediately -- I mean like one of my first casts to a reasonably good spot (long flat on the edge of a steep point). Didn't have to hug the bank all the time w/the popper (although did later when cloud cover was gone). Fish typically hit it right on the edge of the transition to deeper water.

Let me guess..............you got on the pattern when one of them nailed your crankbiait floating on the surface?

Reactions: Whitewater

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Nice job, Joel. I need to get back out your way one of these days, it's going on 3 seasons now which is far too long. Tell Otis I said hi and I hope to see you guys out there one day soon.

Reactions: Spider Crack

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Now I hear the fish may be on the beds out there. My brother and his son had a slow day there yesterday, catching only three, but said they saw guys sight fishing. Not my thing... Maybe will grab a couple of spinning rods and jigs, go after some crappie..

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Let me guess..............you got on the pattern when one of them nailed your crankbiait floating on the surface?
Quoted for truth. I had to laugh at that one!

Reactions: Spider Crack

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW, only a very few of the fish I caught were fat w/roe. Guessing most were aggressive males, and some of them looked like they'd just come from Fight Club (battle scars). FYI, joel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.