NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm movin back to Charlotte I finally took Spidey out to the ol' honeyhole. We had a BLAST. Topwater was on fire with the buzzbait getting most of the love and me being pigheaded continuing to throw my spook because I like the way they blow up on it ;) We both missed big fish early and eventually got to a little shallower water and all it was game on. Spidey got a nice 3.5 on his buzz, followed by a 1.5 and a 3.25 while I'm still skunked. BOOM!!! spook gets hammered. Healthy 3.7 brought on in. Spidey continued to pick at them with the buzzer while I went ahead and missed 3 more quality fish on the spook that just wouldn't quite commit. Started throwing a squarebill around 7:45 and quickly caught two decent little fish and shortly thereafter caught a healthy 4.5. Missed another fish on the spook and we headed to the smaller pond. Buzzbait was still killer as Spidey caught a couple more solid fish including another 3.5. He missed a nice swirl and I threw out a senko, tap tap WHAM! Fattest fish of the day came to the bank, 4.1lbs but stocky. Had one monster swirl on his buzzer that we both wish had connected and I finally switched to the buzz and caught a couple fish. Final tally for the day was 22 fish, 13 for spidey 9 for me, best 5 went 4.5, 4.1, 3.7, and a pair of 3.5s. Great day and I will miss this spot greatly when I move. It's rare to get days like this morning when everything comes together, but man am I glad it did. :D

CB7-1.jpg CB7-1(2).jpg CB7-1(3).jpg

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have several of those big ole' zara spooks in my tackle box and am an expert at "Walking the Dog" and throw them when the water is choppy as the directions on the boxes note are the best time to throw them...but, alas....I have yet to draw even a minnow to them (And the directions state they will draw the monsters in from miles away)...I must be doing something wrong...though my arms and shoulders have increased in size over the years!!!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
All I have to say is your not pigheaded just determined!!!! What a great first day of retirement. Now I need to go buy afew more buzz baits since all that action today the ones caught and the couple that got off and blow ups the wire is so bent I can't get it to work right anymore.

I missed three before the first one stayed on. It think actual count was 23 since I seem to be counting 14 but also was glad to get an assist on that fatty in the small pond. I think I lost three others and had five blow ups but that last one is going to haunt me I had it for a brief second!!!

Too bad we both missed on afew final count could have been 30 easy for about 3 hours of catching!!!! All but two of mine were on the damiki MTB, one on a squarebill and one on the black jitter bug. I loved the one were the fish was 2.5 but I had about a pound of grass on as well making it feel a lot bigger.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Pretty fish. I always love to see the colouration differences in bass up here versus down east. Sounds like a good morning for sure.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have several of those big ole' zara spooks in my tackle box and am an expert at "Walking the Dog" and throw them when the water is choppy as the directions on the boxes note are the best time to throw them...but, alas....I have yet to draw even a minnow to them (And the directions state they will draw the monsters in from miles away)...I must be doing something wrong...though my arms and shoulders have increased in size over the years!!!
they'll definitely make your wrist cramp but when one connects... one of the best baits for an explosive hit i've found. very rarely do they suck it under gently, if they want it they are gonna try to kill it!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
they'll definitely make your wrist cramp but when one connects... one of the best baits for an explosive hit i've found. very rarely do they suck it under gently, if they want it they are gonna try to kill it!
Sucker flew out of the water to nail that spook wild action may have to get me one to try but I love my buzzers!!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Since I'm movin back to Charlotte I finally took Spidey out to the ol' honeyhole. We had a BLAST. Topwater was on fire with the buzzbait getting most of the love and me being pigheaded continuing to throw my spook because I like the way they blow up on it ;) We both missed big fish early and eventually got to a little shallower water and all it was game on. Spidey got a nice 3.5 on his buzz, followed by a 1.5 and a 3.25 while I'm still skunked. BOOM!!! spook gets hammered. Healthy 3.7 brought on in. Spidey continued to pick at them with the buzzer while I went ahead and missed 3 more quality fish on the spook that just wouldn't quite commit. Started throwing a squarebill around 7:45 and quickly caught two decent little fish and shortly thereafter caught a healthy 4.5. Missed another fish on the spook and we headed to the smaller pond. Buzzbait was still killer as Spidey caught a couple more solid fish including another 3.5. He missed a nice swirl and I threw out a senko, tap tap WHAM! Fattest fish of the day came to the bank, 4.1lbs but stocky. Had one monster swirl on his buzzer that we both wish had connected and I finally switched to the buzz and caught a couple fish. Final tally for the day was 22 fish, 13 for spidey 9 for me, best 5 went 4.5, 4.1, 3.7, and a pair of 3.5s. Great day and I will miss this spot greatly when I move. It's rare to get days like this morning when everything comes together, but man am I glad it did. :D

View attachment 63485 View attachment 63486 View attachment 63487
Now that's a day of fishing!! good deal. thanks for sharing

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sooooooo....since you're moving back to charlotte, care to share your honey hole with a fellow fisherman, i.e me?? ;) j/k
Sounds like an awesome day! Good job guys!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not a chance man ;) haha

- hate we didnt get to fish reg.

went back this morning and caught 10 more but nothing over 2lbs - had a behemoth 8-9#+ blow up on the buzzbait and miss... heartbreaker, worked the area for 30 minutes and couldnt entice her - had a 4lb on a nasty habit creature bait but i played with it for too long trying to make it jump and when it did it spit the hook ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nicely done! That's some serious productivity. I'm going to try a little pond hopping this evening w/ Hogaholic, and I'll be quite happy with half that many. I've got a new buzz bait myself I'm looking forward to trying out.
No bite on the buzzbait last night but we did fairly well. Numbers no size though. Think we both missed a couple good ones though. When you get back in to town, let me know. I have a place where we might be able to pull some bigger fish out of! Was good fishing with you

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I was blindfolded on the way in so I don't know the spot but I may have to find a way to become friends with the land owner what a great spot to fish for sure. The pond spoiled me all that action in a few hours and lately just glad to get a tap,or a blow up miss. Good luck in CLT man we may have to find a spot around Greensboro way so we can get in some more fishing.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I've gone through a kind of evolution on topwater baits. I've thrown buzzbaits since the mid 80's and had settled on a Hart and good old Lunker lure as about as good as those get. The Hart is way better but they are tough to find. Anyway I got on a Spook kick for a short time and then started throwing an old bait that's not made anymore called a Norman Rat-Lur ( no "e") and found it was way better than a Spook. I threw the last one I had way up in a tree and then started throwing a Spro-BBZ-1 shad 4" floater the last two years and found it out fished everything on top. I'd still throw the Hart after dark though over anything. Interestingly, the big 5/8 Jitterbug destroyed one day on the river for Nat when Jeff and I were struggling so that's always one I keep in the box now. I caught all my fish on the Spro at the yak tourny last week and lost a fish that would have put me in second easily and real close to first when the split ring that holds the big single treble ripped out of the lure likely because of the 50 pound braid was stronger. I've got some Lucky Strike Sammy baits that I need to try more too. Anyway check out some of the baits I mentioned for topwater. And good luck in Charlotte. There are two rivers down that way that I really want to try out this year myself for cats and smallies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts