NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i managed to go to new bern for the first time in my kayak and launched out of glenburnie park at around 6:30. went up river in search of some topwater striper action. .. ..and i found it. about 7:30 i was saying to myself let me get one just to make the trip worth it. .and then BOOM! fish on and fish on and fish on and etc. ..i sat in drift for and hour moving up and drifting back and caught around 30 stripers!! the most amazing afternoon i have had in a long while. most fish were in the pound to three pound range but there were some solid five and sixers too. ..(mabey 6 or 7 out of the 30ish). so if you get the urge to hit up new bern the stripers are there!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't have to say that this morning Dennis . ..second cast at bay river put a 22incher in the yak here at bay river.. .with tons more to follow .. .most were just under but got a limit of 17to 22inch fish .. .I'll post pics when i get home . .top water bite baby!!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rye. ..i used gold spook jr for the stripers and used spook jr in white for the trout!! also caught a few of both on light blue and grey badunkadunks. .. good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice report, but I'm confused about the Striped Bass regulations. The Albemarle Sound is closed. The ocean from the colregs to 3 miles out is open. It seems like the Pamlico and its Rivers are open season with 18" to 22" fish legal. Is this correct? I won't be fishing those river areas but would like to know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the clarification E P Horvath. Looks like there's a lot of flounder in those rivers. On the NOAA sea surface chart it showed cooler water in the rivers. Is that why the Stripers and the Flounder are there?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.