NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the rain finally settled down headed to the lake at 8PM for an hour of topwater action. Started off in a shallow cove area that has produced some big fish, BTW someone is not picking up their trash saw a pink and purple worm discarded on the bank. Anyways had one little bump on the buzz bait. Moved on to a frog and first cast frog bounces off water and lands right near a log and disappears didn't even have to twitch it but did have to close the bail since it was still open. Fish takes off running and does a nice little flip in the air before coming in. A nice 3# to get the day rolling. Tossed frog again and next cast a blow up but a miss. Two casts later the same, thinking that one was a bream since it was a small bum.

Worked the frog again hit the bank across the way and as I pulled frog into the water slam off she goes and this fish is running right at me. Wasn't sure I had a good hooks and when I landed the 1# only one of the hooks was in the side lip and almost out.

Decided to switch to a sexy dawg and skipped it across the water to the spot I was trying to get at and once again before I can close the bail splash so I close bail and rip and landed a nice 2# with two sets of hooks nicely lodged into the jaw. Had to use the pliers to get this one off.

It was about 9PM so I decided to head over to the other side of the lake hoping to pull one off a letdown. Started with buzz, than frog and sexy without a blowup at all. Went back to the buzz at about 915 ran it right over log and just as it bumps over it I hear splash and fish is running under the log. I get it out it goes airborne and off she went. Looked to be about 5# but hard to tell in the little light that was left. Just than lightning lit up the sky so figured it was a good time to head home and enjoy a glass of red win.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
This time of year is buzz bait time.But most of time bite will slack off as it is turning dark.But give it 1 hour the bite realy gets going.Black buzz bait or outher black lures.Bass can see black better than outhers.At night time,do not know why they just do.Good going on the fish

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I agree grandpaa. Last week and the week before a tuned up black buzz bait was all the rage after midnight. Now this week I am getting them on a black spook but not the normal retrieve. I work it like a pencil popper for fifteen to twenty pops and then pause for 15 to 30 Mrs. Sippies. Eight out of ten hits come late in the pause. Thank god my son is a teenager now or I would never have the patience. Also 11" black worm with them wavy tails are great keeping em high in the water with no pause just vibrating the rod slightly every two to three cranks. Next year I might add a rattle to them worms.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.