NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just started bass fishing last summer and am finding the first winter season tough. Especially since the new year. Anybody got any ideas on decent locations to try with decent access to deeper water from the bank?

I have tried a couple of ponds around the Morrisville/Apex/Cary area with only a couple of bumps but no bites.

· Registered
101 Posts
I'm not the most experienced person on this forum by a long shot but last winter was a tough one for me as well. Due to weather and rain just haven't made it out a bunch this year. A couple of things I can offer:

1) Don't get too down as It's likely not just you, catching bass in winter or cold/terrible conditions IS just harder. They are more docile, don't want to feed as much, and at some points in deeper water which is typically harder to access from the bank.

2) I've looked at winter as good time to try some new techniques or organize gear for next season. One thing I'll do (assuming you go with more than one rod), is have one rod with a very finesse setup (Ned rig, light texas rigged soft plastic, etc.) and another with a more power fishing style (Crank bait, jerk bait, etc.) and try your luck at both in the same area that way you're covering all your bases. Don't be afraid to work your power fishing styles faster than you might think and don't be afraid to work your finesse setups slower than you might think.

3) Worst case scenario you're getting outside for a mental break and getting some exercise. Get you a couple podcasts, videos, audio-books (whatever you're into) queued up to make it so even if you don't catch anything you're still getting some knowledge or entertainment.

4) If you're just hunting a bite maybe look into crappie fishing? Someone else could hopefully provide some insight here as I seem to only ever catch them by accident and don't target them but I hear they are great eats and maybe more likely to bite in colder temps? I see a lot of people vertically jigging for them under bridges which can typically be accessed on foot.

Speaking at least of recent conditions, with iced up waters, heavy rain making water visibility less, and pretty decent swings in temperatures. All these things make it less than ideal for catching the ever illusive bass. Persistence is key and can't catch 'em if you don't have anything in the water - good luck and spawn will be soon enough!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not the most experienced person on this forum by a long shot but last winter was a tough one for me as well. Due to weather and rain just haven't made it out a bunch this year. A couple of things I can offer:

1) Don't get too down as It's likely not just you, catching bass in winter or cold/terrible conditions IS just harder. They are more docile, don't want to feed as much, and at some points in deeper water which is typically harder to access from the bank.

2) I've looked at winter as good time to try some new techniques or organize gear for next season. One thing I'll do (assuming you go with more than one rod), is have one rod with a very finesse setup (Ned rig, light texas rigged soft plastic, etc.) and another with a more power fishing style (Crank bait, jerk bait, etc.) and try your luck at both in the same area that way you're covering all your bases. Don't be afraid to work your power fishing styles faster than you might think and don't be afraid to work your finesse setups slower than you might think.

3) Worst case scenario you're getting outside for a mental break and getting some exercise. Get you a couple podcasts, videos, audio-books (whatever you're into) queued up to make it so even if you don't catch anything you're still getting some knowledge or entertainment.

4) If you're just hunting a bite maybe look into crappie fishing? Someone else could hopefully provide some insight here as I seem to only ever catch them by accident and don't target them but I hear they are great eats and maybe more likely to bite in colder temps? I see a lot of people vertically jigging for them under bridges which can typically be accessed on foot.

Speaking at least of recent conditions, with iced up waters, heavy rain making water visibility less, and pretty decent swings in temperatures. All these things make it less than ideal for catching the ever illusive bass. Persistence is key and can't catch 'em if you don't have anything in the water - good luck and spawn will be soon enough!
Thanks for the reply.

I have finesse fished and jig fished a little but never have any luck. Not even interested in a dropshot and the places I been are too grassy/weedy for a small ned rig. I have been tempted to start speed cranking to draw strikes but don't have the right equipment.

I do agree about conditions they have been pretty poor but just wondered if anyone knew of some ponds/areas that have historically been clearer.

All that being said I know, February is just round the corner which will hopefully bring the pre spawners shallow.

Thank you for the offer Joe, I may take you up on it one day. I'm just not ready to give up on bass yet. I know there are fewer bites but generally sizes are bigger.

Thanks again

· Registered
52 Posts
Night crawlers on a jig head, throw it on a cork in shallow water close to deep water or fish it in deep water, pop it now and then to get attention. Winter fishing is hit or miss and if you're fishing on the bank of a lake that's usually not productive. The ponds you're wanting to fish are all around you have to go ask if you can fish them, they will be more productive than lakes from the bank but still takes patience. Pond bass often hit Carolina rigged plastic worms in winter try it!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had some luck recently with a dark/red lipless crank yoyoing off bottom, a suspended jerkbait and a ned rig. I'll keep going and maybe try the carolina rig.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Not from recent years, but if you haven't yet there is Simpkins pond at Lake Wheeler. Lake Crabtree, from the boat launch. Umstead lake between upper and lower.

Winter bass fishing is slow for sure, especially from the bank. Hang in there.

· Registered
2,505 Posts
Winter bass fishing is tough especially with the weather roller coaster we are having. However I have caught my lifetime top 10 bass in middle of January o crank baits and chatter baits. But those are in winters were we had stable temps for weeks even though very cold temps. I haven’t been out much this year but did land a 5# on a chatterbait last week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts