NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really struggled with strong wind and few bites (2 small flounder) in queens creek and bays behind bear island. Fished all day Sunday and half of today before loading up and headed back to Greensboro a day early. Someone said all the mullet in the surf pulled all the reds to the beach. Did anyone else have any luck?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Picked up a 15" and 17" flounder off of ferry channel on Saturday morning, which made a pretty good day for me (first keeper flounders). But you are right, wind was tough, water was high most of the time. Did not sniff a red, caught a few grunts, croakers along the way. There were not a lot of boats out either, I guess due to the NE wind.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I fished the Swansboro area last Thursday afternoon and again on Saturday. We did well with the drum on Thursday but had to keep moving as each place we fished only held 1 or 2 fish. All drum were from 20 to 28 inches. We used mullet on carolina rigs both days. The mullet were pretty easy to catch on Thursday but we had a hard time finding them on Saturday. We caught a few drum on Saturday but the wind was tough. We fished the mouth of the white oak, oyster beds across the channel from Dudley's and the marsh areas to the right of the Hammock's beach ferry channel. All places held fish but just not alot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lbg3, thanks for the detailed response. It's greatly apprecitated. Here's my dumb question for the day, how are you catching mullet? (I'm still new to this saltwater fishing.)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use a cast net for the mullet. I catch them right across from the Coast Guard station. That area is also good for mud minnows in the summer. I use the small minnow baskets for the mud minnows during the summer months.

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
There are Reds year round in Queens. Yes, learn to use a cast net (start with a small diameter and practice in the yard). You will find finger mullet along the grass lines....same place you will find the Reds. I stick the canoe up on a hummock and catch the bait...easiest to do at low tide but pretty easy on any tide. While the fingers move out to the ocean in the Fall, there're still plenty in the creeks this time of year. Put a mullet out on a c-rigged circle hook and stick it in a rod holder while casting with a lure on another rod.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Swansboro report: GOOD

Topwaters and plastics. Live bait does not allow you to cover water like you need to this time of year. Just my two cents. And no, the reds aren't gone. Some of them never leave. All fish caught in backwaters and creeks off the white oak river.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
From the past couple weeks between neuse river trips. Incoming tide seems to be the best. All reds caught in 1-2 feet of water near oyster beds and mud flats. If the wind is howling, they will be stacked in the calm coves feeding on mullet and crabs. Makes it easy on kayakers like me

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: roostertail24
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.