NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the old days with my grandfather we'd throw his 10 ft. jon boat in the back of his truck and go. What are the regulations for a trailer being needed? Do I need one with this size boat or can I still throw it in the back of my truck?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
throw it in the back of your truck and put a red hankerchief on the end of it.
It'd be no different than haulin lumber home from Lowes.

Make sure to tie it down real good though so it wont fly into traffic behind you.
Coming home one night after an all day offshore run from Wrightsville we saw a truck with a paddle boat (blue and white) come loose and smash into the middle of 74 just over the bridge... you want to talk about a mess and cars everywhere!

Tie her down and make sure you have something to identify it as a long load on the end. Of course, why not get a little bit bigger of a john boat and put a trailer under it! :) (oops, there I go instigatin again!!, ha ha ha ha..)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright

Thanks. Might try to take the old boat out this weekend. Take it out and see if it'll not leak. Just might take a poll on the boat with me.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
One way to check a john boat for leaks is to put water in it. Support it well and don't try to fill it up but fill it to its normal waterline. A pair of sawhorses and a hose pipe should be all you need to check out that 10' boat. To drain it place the free end of the hose in the boat at the low point and turn the water on long enough to ensure the hose is full of water then turn it off and unhook the hose from the spigot and water the good wife's flowers for her while keeping the end of the hose lower than the bottom of the boat. AL

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
only thing you have to do to a lil boat is in public waters have it registered if you use a trolling moter or out board-basicly "other than hand powered"

zooker

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
motor

so as long as I'm rowing i'm okay....hmmmm...might have to wait another week to take it out...don't feel like rowing again...me and a buddy rented a boat at a local pond and rowed saturday..still feeling it...but we caught bass and that's all that matters..:)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What a bummer

Just found out that grampa didn't know how big his own boat was. It's actually 12 feet long and would stick over 3 1/2 feet out the back of the truck (Ford Ranger long bed). I think that's a bit to far to be out and about with. Anyone know where I can get a REALLy cheap trailer for a jon boat from. Wife isn't allowing me to spend over $100 dollars on one. (Don't think I can find one for this but I'm praying so). Can't say that I blame her though since I've recently jumped back in and have gone in over my head, she just wants to make sure I'm back fishing for good not just a phase. And my durn old trolling motor is dead. All around bad day in my fishing outlook as far as going out on the jon boat is concerned.:( At least the niece wants to go fishing with me from the bank.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
That's a mighty tall order.... I'm not sayin there's not one out there, but I highly doubt you'll find a boat trailer for that much.

AK Mc Callum's has new john boat trailers for $300-350, gavlanized...

I dont event think you can buy a Lowes lawn trailer for that much.... Best of luck on that Coach D

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Craigslist, perhaps? Online classifieds?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not really to hopeful

Honestly I don't think I have a snowball's chance on that one. Lawn trailer...hmmm...now that's a thought...who's got welding materials???..lol

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Zook

I was considering putting an old lawn trailer back together but rigging it in a mannet that I could carry the boat. Working on the schematics of it now. Will let ya'll know how it works. Actually got the idea from my uncle's trailer he made for carrying his and his sons kayaks.

·
Registered
574 Posts
3.5 feet isn't too much. Unless I'm mistaken you don't even have to put a flag on something sticking out the back until you exceed 6 feet past the end of the vehicle. I'd say strap in down good and go!

Craig's List is a great place to look. I advertised a "want to buy" ad for a titled boat trailer and got an email from a guy that had a trailer for $100 (he said it needed work), but he didn't have a title. I have already deleted his info, sorry.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No problem

Any idea where I can look up the official law for that? oh wait. I work with a sheriff's deputy. *duh* Had the wife on me to much today to think. "All you do is think about fishing" she didn't mind when I was fishing last night though. ;)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Think you are right

I saw a truck going down the road and it had stuff sticking way further then my boat will out. State Trooper went by and didn't say anything to him about it so I think I'll be ok.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He was right

Parrothead was absolutely right. It is 5 feet out that must have a flag on it. SRO (school resource officer from Cumberland county sheriffs) verified this law for me. He also said that no ever checks that crap, to much other stuff to do. :D Made my day. Now to get the trolling motor for the back of it and i'm good to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Actuality the law is 4ft. from the rear of your truck and you must have a red flag. Truth be known unless it looks crazy, stupid I would not give it a second thought.

big tugs,
john

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.