NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once you have launched your boat and parked your truck...whatever.... do you take any security measures like chains thru trailer wheels or anything like that?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
If they want it bad enough they will find a way to get it at any cost (to you). I usually try to launch at ramps that see more traffic, or that have regular law enforcement presence. A thief is less likely to strike if there is a constant stream of boaters or people coming and going, if nothing else that gives me some peace of mind. I pretty much just lock my coupler to the ball and always try to back my trailer tires tight against the curb to make it more difficult to unhook or repostition.

If I unhook my trailer at a motel I put a lock on the coupler and take out the pin for the swingaway toungue and put it in my truck.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seriously?

Absolutely every single time. Especially when I leave it parked at home in the pasture.

So if you go to....say.....Cross Point. ...you launch your boat. ...when you park your trailer you take some kind of security precautions? I understand doing it when at home..In yard ...but i mean at a public launch site.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If they want it bad enough they will find a way to get it at any cost (to you). I usually try to launch at ramps that see more traffic, or that have regular law enforcement presence. A thief is less likely to strike if there is a constant stream of boaters or people coming and going, if nothing else that gives me some peace of mind. I pretty much just lock my coupler to the ball and always try to back my trailer tires tight against the curb to make it more difficult to unhook or repostition.

If I unhook my trailer at a motel I put a lock on the coupler and take out the pin for the swingaway toungue and put it in my truck.
I agree. A pro will laugh and get it every time....if i dont have him in my sights.....so thats why i have good insurance,

Reactions: Brenardo

·
Registered
666 Posts
So if you go to....say.....Cross Point. ...you launch your boat. ...when you park your trailer you take some kind of security precautions? I understand doing it when at home..In yard ...but i mean at a public launch site.
Had a 24ft enclosed trailer stolen from a Law Enforcement Training Center. No lock on the trailer. Just had a 16ft enclosed trailer stolen from office inside city limits of Raleigh with coupler locked. Doesn't matter about location. If they want it....they are gonna take it.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Now days the best security is "if its worth anything much insure it"... maybe a little padlock through the hitch lever and prayer..

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lemons branch public area at Fontana now has cameras but they belong to forest service, not sure how they will help since nobody there seems to know anything about them.
We have had our gas stolen and spare tires also. Wildlife does a good job patrolling but seems they just can't seem to hook up at the same time as the thugs there...
Put locks on your fuel tank will get you a nice hole in your fuel tank...

·
Registered
876 Posts
I agree that if someone wants your "stuff" bad enough, they will find a way to get it. I do lock my trailer coupler, but that's about it. I have a spare trailer tongue pin in boat, just in case. Other than that, I hope a thief finds someone elses things more attractive than mine, lol.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have a lock on my trailer coupler and my hitch where it goes into my car. One time someone stole only my cotter pin out of my hitch. Luckily I saw it before I took off down the road. I was furious.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
In some parts of the country, people are stealing catalytic converters at boat ramps. Thiefs can get some cash for them at the scrap yard for their platinum content.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The convertor thing has been going on for a few years. Like every one else said. If they want it bad enough it's gone. A coupler lock doesn't help unless your coupler is welded on. Two adjustable wrenches and a new coupler and it's gone.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I had the gas siphoned from my truck at the Robeson ramp on Jordan a few years ago. I put locks on everything. I figure if it slows the lowlife thieves down a bit its worth it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.